Hear a clicking sound? Read this.

WA7S0N

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Sterling,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd share one of my recent experiences in the hopes of helping one of you guys out.

I recently had a noticeably loud clicking sound that varied with speed coming from the rear end. It didn't start until about 5mph and stopped around 20mph. Anytime I got in that range it started clicking again.

This sound can be very annoying and confusing (especially if you've never heard this sound before).

If you are having a similar problem, my advice to you is to first check your parking brake.

In my situation, the parking brake shoes rusted to the point to where they would no longer stay in place. The clicking sound was caused by the shoes rubbing and bouncing on the inside of the rotor.

This is a very easy fix, as all you need to do is swap out the shoes.

I hope this post helps someone out.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd share one of my recent experiences in the hopes of helping one of you guys out.

I recently had a loud clicking sound that varied with speed coming from the rear end. It didn't start until about 5mph and stopped around 20mph. Anytime I got in that range it started clicking again.

This sound can be very annoying and confusing (especially if you've never heard this sound before).

If you are having a similar problem, my advice to you is to first check your emergency brake.

In my situation, the emergency brake pad had rusted and slightly came loose, causing it to rub and cause a "click" sound.

This is a very easy fix, as all you need to do is swap out the pad.

I hope this post helps someone out.

Hey, I forget if the E. B. has some kind of adjustment that might prevent this from occurring. Was this sound very obviously noticeable? What exactly do you mean by emergency brake pad "rusted and came loose"? imp

Hey, I forget if the E. B. has some kind of adjustment that might prevent this from occurring. Was this sound very obviously noticeable? What exactly do you mean by emergency brake pad "rusted and came loose"? imp

Yes, this was very noticeable (even with the windows up). The parking brake shoes rusted to the point to where they would no longer stay in place. The clicking sound was caused by the shoes rubbing and bouncing on the inside of the rotor.

Sorry for the confusion. It was poorly worded. I updated my original post.

Had the same thing on mine.

The rear disk brakes contain the emergency brake (brake shoes/drum combination) running on the back side of the disk brake rotor.

On the drivers side the the emergency disk brake surface had completely separated from the emergency brake shoe bracket and on the passenger side it had separated and only half of one of the pieces remained (the other was totally gone).

I'd have probably never found it had I not done a rear brake job ( and replaced the rotors).

Back