Heartbroken, just saw water when removing spark plug! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heartbroken, just saw water when removing spark plug!

Cesarverdugo

Reaction score
City, State
La Puente
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
So my 2002 sport trac all of the sudden started leaking water! not much but had to put in water every 2 weeks or so.
Never had over heated problems, the gauge was always marking in the middle. So i did not put too much attention, just add water every week.

Well, last week the gauge went all the way up super quick! Had to pull over in the freeway and saw water leaking through the back of the thermostat housing.

After I changed it thought all was good now. I test drive it and it was worst!! I checked the spark plugs and water came out through the hole. Then I started crying...just kidding! But i was very sad when i realized their was water in the head gasket! Anyone can tell me is this quick to fix? Is it costy? :,(

it was still over heating,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean, "water came out the hole"? I would think that if you had enough h2o to be coming out of a spark plug hole the engine would be locked up.

What made you think to pull the plugs (all)?

Are you sure the h2o was not from spillage when you changed the thermostat housing?

After i changed the thermostat housing the engine was stumbling pretty bad so i just thought about checking them, I will try to upload a video so you can see

But the engine does run? Is that correct? Has your coolant level dropped? Do you see air bubbles coming to the top of the fill openning on the radiator when the engine is running? Whats the engine mileage?

If in fact you have water in your cylinder(s) - no that is most definitely not a quick (or inexpensive) repair. As asked, are you sure the water didn't come from some external source? If you have a significant amount of coolant getting into your combustion chamber(s) you'd be spewing white smoke out the exhaust and could even hydro-lock your engine.

Back