Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Heat/ac/defrost know blows fuse.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 98mst, September 1, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 98mst

98mst New Member

City, State:
    Euclid mn
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Mercury Mountaneer
    Hey everyone, been lurking for a few years finding solutions to other problems and always had success. But this time I need to make a post.

I have a 1998 Mercury mountaineer with the 5.0 with 254891 miles. At some point it starting blowing the number 10 ( 7.5 amp) fuse on the fuse panel inside the driver's door. I lose blinkers, cruise control, rear defrost and found out this summer it also takes out the ac. Eventually I narrowed it down to the heat/ac/defrost knob (is there a better term?) As the problem. Any time I turn it, the fuse pops. I've had yhe dash apart and looked at wiring and have found nothing exposed or broken. It's my daily driver and while it's not a huge issue, using the defrost this coming winter would be nice.

Any info or suggestions would be great.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Congrats on your first post! Welcome to the forum.

To me it sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere in that circuit. Could be all the way in the back, in the column, or in the dash harness all wrapped up. Have you done anything anywhere near any of these items in the past, that could have pinched/cut a wire? Lights, stereo, speakers, etc...

I would start there, and go over everything very closely. Check behind trims, carpet, etc... If nothing found, find someone with access to Alldata, (or something similar) and get the wiring diagrams for the switch circuit, and trace everything it is connected to. A multi meter can check for continuity, in each circuit. This is not an easy task, and I even struggle with these types of repairs.

If nobody responds in a day or two, just bump this thread, by posting in it again, so others can see it, and hopefully offer more help.

4. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    At the age and miles and low price of another knob out the junkyard, it might would be worth just changing the knob assembly.

5. 98mst

98mst New Member

City, State:
    Euclid mn
    98 Mercury Mountaneer
    Due to time constraints I'm going to try a new knob first found 2 explorers that had the dash already ripped apart. 1 had the knob intact but I don't know how long it had been exposed to the elements. Ordered a new one for 32 bucks. Thanks guys.

6. delexploder

delexploder Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenwood De.
    97 ford explorer sport
    Unplug the heat/ac blower motor and run two jumper wires to it to make sure it works , ive seen a few either siezed up or jammed with rodent nests blow the fuse

7. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Look inside the power distribution box under the hood. Check the blower motor relay socket for heat damage.