Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

heater control help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by cfd911, December 18, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. cfd911

cfd911 Member

City, State:
    chicago IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 xlt 4wd
    hey guys i need help,

over the past 2 weeks i ve noticed a slight noise like a creaking under the dashboard and then yesterday my heat seems to wander from cool to hot every 10-15 seconds back and forth . all the controls work floor/ vents. i gonna assume i have a blend door that s loosing vacuum maybe a diaphram that went bad? i have a 2001 xlt 4.0 sohc regular heat/ a/c controls, any ideas????? when to start looking for a fix???? thanks joe

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. John Frank

John Frank New Member

City, State:
    Sydney NSW
    '00 Explorer 4WD Ltd SOHC
    I think you will find the blend door is driven by an electric motor not vacuum, vacuum is used for the flow direction to floor/def/vents the heater water control (in the engine bay) and the recurculation.
    I have a 2000 Exporer limited SOHV 4.0L unless it changed on newer models.

Search for Blend Door and you shold find info about that so you can confirm or try and narrow down the fault.

4. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
    No Mounty no more.
    John is right. There is a servo motor (some call it an actuator) that moves the blend door.

5. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    Picture may be of help. I no longer remember which Explorer family this is from, but yes the blend motors are electric on the later models.

Attached Files: