Heater Control Valve Replacement 98 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Control Valve Replacement 98 SOHC

joker1457

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
So after having a minor coolent leak for a couple of years now I finanly decided to track it down, it ended up being the Heater Control Valve.

This morning driving into work it finally gave out (lucky me) I have the part sitting in the car im just a slacker.

I'd like to clarify some things before I start this project. Everyone correct me If I'm wrong.

1. This is for the 4.0SOHC, after reading other posts, the location of the HCV is said to be near the firewall, maybe my vehicle is different but mine is located near the front almost behind the passenger side head light right below the air filter assembly.

2. Being im stubborn, I'd like to know if it's neccessary to drain the system, quite frankly its a mess and a pain. But if its needed then Im all for it.

My plan of attack is either go through the passenger side fender well or take the air filter assembly out.........any other recomendations? I plan on taking pictures of the location and posting issues i run into.

Moderaters feel free to delete if this is a repost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after having a minor coolent leak for a couple of years now I finanly decided to track it down, it ended up being the Heater Control Valve.

This morning driving into work it finally gave out (lucky me) I have the part sitting in the car im just a slacker.

I'd like to clarify some things before I start this project. Everyone correct me If I'm wrong.

1. This is for the 4.0SOHC, after reading other posts, the location of the HCV is said to be near the firewall, maybe my vehicle is different but mine is located near the front almost behind the passenger side head light right below the air filter assembly.

2. Being im stubborn, I'd like to know if it's neccessary to drain the system, quite frankly its a mess and a pain. But if its needed then Im all for it.

My plan of attack is either go through the passenger side fender well or take the air filter assembly out.........any other recomendations? I plan on taking pictures of the location and posting issues i run into.

Moderaters feel free to delete if this is a repost.

OK, first, could you please post a picture? Are you sure you aren't looking at your vacuum reservoir globe?

I believe this is the part I purchased, I will take a picture of the actual part once I get home. As well as the location in the engine compartment.

Attachments

• HCV2.jpg
    HCV2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 4,607
  • HCV.jpg
    HCV.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,768

Sorry for such a late response on this, so much to do such little time......story of my life :)

Below is pictures of the actual part I purchased notice the bar that mounts to the engine is not there, I didnt reuse the exsisting mount being it didnt fit the new HCV

Attachments

• newhvc.jpg
    newhvc.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,690
  • newhvc2.jpg
    newhvc2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3,526

Location in Engine Compartment

Here is the location in the engine compartment, sorry for the bad photo there isnt much room to get in there. This is on the passenger side right near the passenger side wheel well.

Attachments

• HCV on 4.0SOHC.jpg
    HCV on 4.0SOHC.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5,616

Now for the fun part :hammer:
Tools needed:
2 vice grips - small
9/16 wrench...If my memory serves me right :rolleyes:
Pair of needle nose pliers, or your choice of pliers
Patience :shifty_ey

I went through the passenger side fender well for access to the HCV, some may have to remove the spash gaurd to gain access.

Now after dumping most my antifreeze on the ground I realized I should have clamped off both hoses before starting this project :banghead:

There is a small vacuum line connected to the top of the HCV...disconnect and move line aside out of harms way.

Now remove your two hose clamps, I left mine on the hoses so they would be easy access once the new HVC was in. Now remove both hoses and expect a little spash of anti freeze :bsnicker: or in my case most of your anti freeze

Next I took the mount off that connects to the engine, there is only one bolt make sure your on the right one. Once removed you can see this mount is connected to HCV right near where the vacuum line connects, I removed this to put back on the engine but later found out it wouldn't fit the replacemnet so I left it out. There is a ring af about 6 prongs that need to be pried up in order to remove the mount. They are not very forgiving, I'd say make sure the size of the New HCV and old match up before ever bothering removing.

Now is reverse of everything stated above, The new HCV will have direction of flow marked on it with a small arrow, remember how you took the old one out and you should be fine, if you make the same mistake I did be sure to top off your coolent, once everything is hooked back up and toped off make sure to check for any leaks and make sure you reconnected the small vacuum hose.

Please see the photo for reference:

Bright Green - Hose Clamps
Dark Green - Top of HVC where vacume line connects
Red - Mount to engine and HCV
Blue - hoses to and from HCV
Blue X's - Kremp hose with vise grips

Attachments

• hvcedit.JPG
    hvcedit.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 4,099

Poorly situated heater control valve

:)Hi joker1457,

You were very clear and helpful. MY HCV is also down below the alternator. You said, "My plan of attack is either go through the passenger side fender well". Does this mean you had to remove the fender? I'll try to just remove the air intake plenum.

Clamping the hoses first will save me a lot of trouble. Thanks much.

I removed the air intake and the upper radiator hose from the engine end and raised them out of the way. Then I replaced the heated control valve with a 5/8th to 5/8th inch tube splice($2.95). The valve still works, but its lower tube was broken causing the leak that cost me 8 gallons of anti-freeze during the last year.

Sweet I want to thank you for this post my HCV just started leaking at 252,700 miles on my 1999 XLT. I was just about to ask is the wheel well the best or only place to go in and fix this leak? Dang Ford wish they would put stuff the break in easy to get to places. After almost 16 years of driving my truck I still wish I could meet the person that designed my explorer, one to punch him for poor design and space issues in the engine compartment and also to hug them for a ford that had lasted intact for almost 16 years with only maintance reparts and and a transmission rebuild at 189,000 miles. Again a poor design as I had the OD light issues and then complete loss of reverse and 3rd/4th gears. Other than that I am one proud explorer owner.

Cardfan99,

I've got 70,000 miles to go to catch up with you and haven't had any major problems except I had to replace the fuel pump (in the fuel tank no less). $110 for a pump. Saved the $800 average repair estimate.

I would like to know how to get the CD player to allow another CD to play after removing the last one without having to wait more than 8 hours before it will take another CD without ejecting it. Anyone else have this strange problem?

field

Glad to hear someone else with a good explorer. At 253,300. After replacing HCV no more leaking. As for the CD issue. I have a single CD player so I can't help with the issue. While 4 wheel, if I hit a bump hard enough my CD player will eject the CD sometimes. Also, I you take ground wire off battery for 30 seconds, then reconnect, CD player will eject what is has in it too. At least mine does! Maybe just a Ford quirk! Good luck and keep on driving!

Cardfan99,

I've got 70,000 miles to go to catch up with you and haven't had any major problems except I had to replace the fuel pump (in the fuel tank no less). $110 for a pump. Saved the $800 average repair estimate.

I would like to know how to get the CD player to allow another CD to play after removing the last one without having to wait more than 8 hours before it will take another CD without ejecting it. Anyone else have this strange problem?

Field I posted under the HCV issue. Good luck!

Cardfan99,

Mine is single player too. It's when manually putting a second CD in that that CD gets ejected afer having the "nose" of the CD stuck out of the player several times unless more than 8 hours have elapsed after the first CD was removed.

Disconnecting the battery may reset that, so I'll try.

Thanks

Hope the battery fix works! My next project is to replace my cruise control buttons. Mine work but the black cover has pealed away and the plastic underneather is cracked and falling apart. Hope I can pull it off without making the airbag go off!

Back