heater inoperable

dcampbell87

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Good afternoon all,

I have been watching these forums quite a bit and have a massive collection of useful information that has saved me a ton of time. Now however I have an issue that is not covered (that I can find).

I recently replaced my tensioner assembly and my idler pulley to get rid of a hell of a squeel. Not sure if this is applicable but better to give to much info than not enough, eh? Any who about a week after we had an unseasonably warm day and I turned on my AC. Two days later the weather went back to normal winter temps. When I attempted to engage my heater I found that no hot air is coming out and now there is a loud clicking noise from the dash. The air comes out wherever I designate it to but the temp won't change.

After some fiddling I found that the temp dial when adjusted to heat gives me a rythmic plastic clicking noise similar to an old fashioned turn signal, however when turned all the way to cold I get a similar rhythm with a different pitch from lower in the dash near the driver side foot vent. If I place my hand on the side wall there I can feel something thumping in there in time with the clicks. When the dial is balanced at 9 o'clock position (where I had last had it before the issue began) there is no noise or thump.

This also may be pertinent, I can and do get heat from the rear, not sure if this is due to the fact that it has a different temp dial and blower dial. So for now I am still able to get some heat.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like the blend door actuator. I just replaced mine today after watching a couple youtube videos and reading threw the sticky on replacing the bda at the top of this page. It took me about an hour. The dealership quoted me $900 to replace it so if you are in any way mechanically inclined (sounds like you are) this will save you over $800 doing it your self.

Back