Heater isn't working..Help Please!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater isn't working..Help Please!!

kritacal88

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
ok so winter is here..found out the heater don't work and temp gage is always at cold..just got done replacing the thermostat which fixed the temp gage problem but the heater is still not working..any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the stickies on Blend Door repairs, and search Blend Door also. That should keep you busy for a while.

ok so i checked out the blend door threads. seemed simple. tried it out. Blend door works perfect so that isnt the problem. it opens and closes as you turn the knob from cold to hot. so the blend door problem is eliminated. what else could it be?

ok so i checked out the blend door threads. seemed simple. tried it out. Blend door works perfect so that isnt the problem. it opens and closes as you turn the knob from cold to hot. so the blend door problem is eliminated. what else could it be?
Check the heater control valve in the heater hoses.

You probably do not have enough coolant in the system yet, and there is an air bubble in the heater core. Try burping it a few times with the front of the vehicle raised up.

You probably do not have enough coolant in the system yet, and there is an air bubble in the heater core. Try burping it a few times with the front of the vehicle raised up.

ok so ramp up the front end and turn the heater on? Burp it?

ok so ramp up the front end and turn the heater on? Burp it?

yep
run the engine until warmed up good, then turn it off. Let it cool enough to safely remove the radiator cap and re fill the radiator. You may need to repeat this several times to get all the air out.

how would i check it to see if it works?
Locate the heater control valve, and note the position of the plunger at the bottom of the valve. Turn heater control to full heat, and look for the plunger tochange position. It is vacuum controlled

Back