Heater problems, Not blend door?

84gt

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 95
Hi
I have a 1995 Explorer and I am getting no heat from the air system. The temp gauge was reading low so I changed the thermostat and I now get some heat when I floor it WOT. I checked the Blend door and it looks ok, actuator is working and the door shaft has the D shape.
The only other things that I can think of are a pluged heater core or the vaccum valve that is in line with the heater hose.
Is there any thing that I am missing? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it? :)

Thanks Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fan works, I will check the heater core next.

Thanks Rick

Sorry!!! but when you said you got a little heat when you floored that is the perfect diagnosis for a plugged heater core...been there done that

disconnect your inlet and outlet lines on your firewall and blow through it with compressed air or whatever you have at your disposal if you can get your lips in there try that it is easy to blow through an unplugged heater core

I'd say many of us would benefit from a good cooling system drain and flush !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't argue a clogged core when the higher rpm's causes more heat. But why would the guage read low, even after the T-stat was replaced? I don't think the core would have a cool effect on the guage. I have recently purchased two 96's and both have shown low end guages and only luck warm heat and greatly noticed on cold days. I have'nt gotten into them yet, but am looking for common problems & ideas.

Just because your heater core is plugged or semi plugged does'nt mean you have no water circulation. You have lots of circulation in your block that keeps cool. The heater core is just a (finger on your hand) if you will...

I have only owned my "x" for a few weeks and I notice the luke warm water also...piss me off!! So I think I will put a winter t-stat in and also cover up my radiator but not my tranny cooler and see if that helps

Cover-up the radiator??? I think we call that the "Redneck Thermostat"... I think you should look into what is wrong with your cooling system instead.

"I won't argue a clogged core when the higher rpm's causes more heat. But why would the guage read low, even after the T-stat was replaced?"

The gauge was reading normal after the thermostat was replaced and I started to get some heat if the Explorer was run hard. Before I changed the thermostat I did not have any heat. Hope that clears things up.

Back