Heck of a time unclogging sunroof drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heck of a time unclogging sunroof drain

KennyPowers55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
2014. My front passenger sunroof drain is clogged. I've successfully unclogged it before using a speedometer cable. Using an 83" cable (from the top), I can get it all in there except about 15". Are there any other tips? I've read about using an air compressor, but I haven't tried it yet because I've also read that it can do more harm than good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove your wheel well liner and work it from the bottom up.

Any tips on how to remove the plastic fasteners with the Phillips head in the middle? Unscrewing them seems to do nothing.

Without looking, typically you unscrew just a little, then use a flathead to pop the head up and then it will pull out.

Any tips on how to remove the plastic fasteners with the Phillips head in the middle? Unscrewing them seems to do nothing.

And worst case, pull them out completely without unscrewing. I've had countless that will never unscrew, and 80% can be pulled out without breaking anything if done carefully. You can buy new ones in 50 packs on eBay for nothing, or maybe ask your Ford dealer for a few for free :)

Edit: Looks like you ran into what I ran into (last bit of a long wire didn't go anywhere). Here's what I did: 2011 Explorer with leaking moon roof

I would not suggest using an air compressor.

String trimmer line is an excellent and easy option. You can even cut little strips into the end of it like the plastic tools to unclog sink drains to help pull stuff out if you have an especially nasty clog. String trimmer line can be bought in different diameters and styles and can be cut to length.

I would not suggest using an air compressor.

String trimmer line is an excellent and easy option. You can even cut little strips into the end of it like the plastic tools to unclog sink drains to help pull stuff out if you have an especially nasty clog. String trimmer line can be bought in different diameters and styles and can be cut to length.
That is an excellent suggestion! When the time comes, I will be using this :)

Back