Heed Help... 2011 Explorer Limited will not start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heed Help... 2011 Explorer Limited will not start.

SJCharney

Reaction score
City, State
Lehigh Valley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Need help. My wife's 2011 Explorer Limited v6 AWD will not start. The battery was low in it and pulled it from the car to charge it. After charging and load testing it, I determine it was bad and replaced it with the factory Motorcraft 65-650. BTW, the battery is good and the alternator is fine. Once in the car, the car will not start at all. This is what happens......

With my key fob in the car, I brake the brake to start it. Right away it goes to the auxiliary power mode and gives me a message to press on the brake to start. When I press the brake and push the start button again, the car still does not start. The dash and the computer now thinks that the car is running though and then rolls off of bunch of error messages in left side screen. Low oil pressure, overheating, low fuel pressure, check AWD, trac error, and then finally a "Starting System Fault". Additionally, the check engine light, brake light, and the other light up warning symbols on the lower right side of the dash cluster are lite. I have check the the fuses under the dash including fuse #18 that is a 10A and they are all fine. I have also check the fuse and breaker panel under the hood next to the battery. The 30 AMP breaker associated with the PATS and other systems that could impact the starting abilities is fine. The battery cables are clean along with the terminals. the secondary plugs and connection to the battery terminal assembles are also clean. I have disconnected the battery twice (negative first then positive) in the hopes of re-setting the PCM with no success. Tonight I am going to disconnect the cables again from the battery and run a earth ground from cable to cable in the hopes of draining all power from the system and re-booting the PCM. What else can I do to fix this? I am going to buy a new ODB II scanner and reader now. I have had so many problems with this truck since new and it is only at 78K miles. I need help :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Steve. Could it possibly be a bad ground to the vehicle's body? Usually when things light up light a Christmas tree it is a faulty battery.

Peter

That does sound like a bad ground...but, just for a lark, try it with your other key or with the key in the hidden center console mechanical key slot and see if that works, just to rule out any weird forgotten fob/PATS nonsense. Probably won’t work, but worth the 15 seconds it takes to try.

Hey Steve. Could it possibly be a bad ground to the vehicle's body? Usually when things light up light a Christmas tree it is a faulty battery.

Peter

This was my thought before reading your reply (bad ground).

+1 for bad ground.

"Starting System Fault" is usually an indicator of a PATS fault. Said module isn't powering up. Check grounds first before moving forward.

thanks guys...not a bad ground or battery. The body ground is good. The battery is new and is at 13.06 volts and load tests at 11.00 volts. The car/computer will not even communicate with my scanner. The main computer probably needs a re-flash or it is fried. I even did a earth ground to the terminal to drain the system of voltage (with the battery disconnected of course) and no luck. As for the key fob test, still didn't start. When the key fob was out of the console with no battery, I did get the no key detected message. Once power was applied back to the key, still would not start. This all started with removing the old battery to charge and load test (which it failed). I am now at the mercy of a dealer. This is the first time that I am throwing in the towel. Calling Ford tomorrow. Wish me and my wallet luck!!!

thanks guys...not a bad ground or battery. The body ground is good. The battery is new and is at 13.06 volts and load tests at 11.00 volts. The car/computer will not even communicate with my scanner. The main computer probably needs a re-flash or it is fried. I even did a earth ground to the terminal to drain the system of voltage (with the battery disconnected of course) and no luck. As for the key fob test, still didn't start. When the key fob was out of the console with no battery, I did get the no key detected message. Once power was applied back to the key, still would not start. This all started with removing the old battery to charge and load test (which it failed). I am now at the mercy of a dealer. This is the first time that I am throwing in the towel. Calling Ford tomorrow. Wish me and my wallet luck!!!

Please post an update with what they found.

After the battery was replaced did the vehicle get a chance to sit/sleep undisturbed for at least 8 hours? This is required for the Battery Management System (BMS) to adjust to the new battery. Also, could it be that since the BMS did not have the previous memory erased that it is still thinking the old battery is installed? Just a thought.

Peter

Man, if something's "fried," I suspect it would be the BCM. But I've heard of maybe one legitimate BCM failure in 5 years of any Ford vehicle I've tracked, so I'd suspect that it wouldn't be the case.

Looking forward to the report...

Back