Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hello and a transmission problem!

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by bphansen, April 7, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. bphansen

bphansen New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    How are you all doing?

I am sitting here in Norway wondering what has happened to my transmission AGAIN? Three months ago suddenly the O/D light started blinking continuesly and I noticed that a low "thump" could be heard and felt from the transmission (I presume) when reducing speed suddenly and the gear being shifted, typically when breaking before intersections. I also suspected that it was generally not shifting as smooth as before - but I turned a bit paranoid listening for strange behaviour...
    Well I brought it to the garage an the mechanics replaced the converter and the friction discs. Everything was great. No warning lights and smooth shifting. End of story? NOPE: few days ago the story repeats itself exactly. All the same over again. So what can cause this is not the converter or friction discs that are close to brand new and not at all abused?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dopler174

Dopler174 Official Welcome Committe Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Greensboro, NC
    1993 XLT 4X4
    Is your truck an all wheel drive model?

4. 35Remmy

35Remmy Active Member

City, State:
    Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
    '88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
    Hmmm...my transmission (5R55E) was rebuilt 3 months ago...even the original transmission would "thump" or "overshift" if, say, I gassed it really quickly and then braked real hard....like the transmission wanted to stay in the gear it was in but had gone too far into the next shit to come back. Actually, I think every automatic transmission I've driven did this.

5. bphansen

bphansen New Member

Yes, it's a 4x4. Thanks for replying.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars