Hello -- need some help....

derfderf

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Ed. Bauer
Hi Folks,

I do not actually own an Explorer. I'm trying to help a friend sort out some transmission codes that recently appeared after a slew of mechanical work and one electrical problem that remains unsolved.

I'm a mod on a Saturn forum for 11 yrs running so I have a strong automotive troubleshooting background -- Saturn-centric, you might say. I know Saturn's weak points -- but not the Ford Explorer.

Every model has it's quirks, weaknesses, and, well, just poorly designed parts destined to fail.

Any help you can give me in sorting out the situation is greatly appreciated.

Welcome. What are the codes?.

Yikes!
Sorry Mike. I just stumbled across your post while looking at my watched threads and saw your name in bold.

I have it configured to email my upon reply but it's not doing so.

The ongoing tale is in in the following location.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...5-p0775-p0795-parasitic-battery-drain.450093/

The electrical issues were traced to a bad alternator which was professionally built and the owner had already installed a new battery.

As I am new to Fords, it took me a while to figure out if the old Explorers had smart charging systems like the newer ones.

Still don't know if the old ones (04) require the equivalent of a BSM reset procedure. Please see thread.

Oh, and the owner has a 0.75 sec delay in reverse engagement, which, from my research, seems to imply a bad reverse solenoid, which means swapping out the whole solenoid pack. Reasonably easy DIY if you have access to a lift.

(Haven't gotten to that in the thread yet....
The tranny codes were prob triggered by some really harsh shifts after putting the bad battery back in.​

Back