help! 1993 ford explorer gearing. 3.27 gears with 31x10.5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help! 1993 ford explorer gearing. 3.27 gears with 31x10.5

norcal925

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Xlt
With 3.27 gears what is the biggest tires i can run without terrible change. I want to keep my mpg and acceleration somewhat the same. I just wanna be able to driver on the freeway still. If anyone could help itd be awesome. Maybe 30 inch tires? Just wanna make this work without regearing.

ive heard its terrible and you cant get on the HW ive heard its not bad. I just want a straight correct answer from someone first hand.

Not totally sure if i have 3.27's but in the case that i do. Im checking when i get out of school
Zac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 235/7515's that come with your Explorer are about a 30" tire (29.5" I believe). With anything larger you will start to hurt in the acceleration department. I would go no higher than 31's, but some people have run 33's and higher without undue issues. Just remember that the larger the tire you have without compensating in the gearing department is going to be harder on your transmission. The A4LD isn't much of a transmission so if you decide to make the transition I would take steps to keep it running cool.

I wouldn't even think of bigger tires until you: know for sure that you have 3.27s, AND, have a budget set forth to get rid of them (the stock 235/75R15 (28.9") tires are already too big for 3.27 gears).

Have you checked to be sure you have 3:27s? If you do, go to the junk yard and get 3:73 or 4:10 out of a 2nd gen explorer. You'll get disks and a better gear ratio

If you find 4.10s in a junkyard you're freaking lucky. 3.73s, that's a different story.

I wouldn't even think of bigger tires until you: know for sure that you have 3.27s, AND, have a budget set forth to get rid of them (the stock 235/75R15 (28.9") tires are already too big for 3.27 gears).

I just figured it out and i have 3.73's with limited slip. What's the biggest i can go with those gears? Will 31's be good?

The 235/7515's that come with your Explorer are about a 30" tire (29.5" I believe). With anything larger you will start to hurt in the acceleration department. I would go no higher than 31's, but some people have run 33's and higher without undue issues. Just remember that the larger the tire you have without compensating in the gearing department is going to be harder on your transmission. The A4LD isn't much of a transmission so if you decide to make the transition I would take steps to keep it running cool.

I have 3.73's im so happy haha, will 31's match up well with that gearing?
Thanks everyone for your help

31"s will be fine with that. Personally I wouldn't go up to 33's, however I've been told it'll be fine, but that's basically the limit for 3.73. It'll change your speedo a little bit, but not too bad.

31"s will be fine with that. Personally I wouldn't go up to 33's, however I've been told it'll be fine, but that's basically the limit for 3.73. It'll change your speedo a little bit, but not too bad.

Sweet thanks man, im planning on doing 31's mayne 32's will i have enough clearance with a 2 inch lift? Its the skyjacker 1.5-2 inch kit then im doing 2.5 in the back

PM your email and I'll send you a graph I made. It's for 2nd gen's but I think 1st gens have the same final drive ratio

Just checked, it's the same

I emailed ya

Back