Help!! 2011 Ford Explorer 3.5l 4wd GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT OF CAR?!!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! 2011 Ford Explorer 3.5l 4wd GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT OF CAR?!!?

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer with approximately 20k miles on it. It's the limited trim with 4wd and the bigger size wheels. I have been hearing/feeling this grinding noise coming from the front of my car when I am turning at very low speeds [like parking lot/driveway speeds]. This rubbing can be felt through the brake pedal. The brake pedals gets really stiff. It happens in neutral too. This problem happens every single time I pull out of my driveway. My driveway is sloped downwards and curves to the right. It also happens all the time while turning in parking lots or anywhere I am driving at a low speed.

I have already taken it to the dealership 3 times but could not replicate the problem until I picked it up on the 3rd time. I asked one of the mechs to sit in the car while I pull out of the lot and he heard the sound! He told me it's not a big deal and it's probably just some rust building up on the brakes. It happens multiple times a day [every time I am parked for more then 1-2 hours].

Sometimes when I hit a speed bump or a pot hole I feel like the car is more unsettled then it should be. This might just be me though getting all OCD about this rubbing sound.

Other threads have said things such as bad CV joints, bad struts, wheel bearings, pads etc... I am not sure what to do now. Don't want to go back to the dealer for the fourth time and, once again, not get any results. :eek:

A while back I took this car into the dealer for a clicking noise when I reverse and they said there was no lube whatsoever on the front axle. Maybe this could have something to do with this noise? I am no mechanic [obviously].

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer with approximately 20k miles on it. It's the limited trim with 4wd and the bigger size wheels. I have been hearing/feeling this grinding noise coming from the front of my car when I am turning at very low speeds [like parking lot/driveway speeds]. This rubbing can be felt through the brake pedal. The brake pedals gets really stiff. It happens in neutral too. This problem happens every single time I pull out of my driveway. My driveway is sloped downwards and curves to the right. It also happens all the time while turning in parking lots or anywhere I am driving at a low speed.

I have already taken it to the dealership 3 times but could not replicate the problem until I picked it up on the 3rd time. I asked one of the mechs to sit in the car while I pull out of the lot and he heard the sound! He told me it's not a big deal and it's probably just some rust building up on the brakes. It happens multiple times a day [every time I am parked for more then 1-2 hours].

Sometimes when I hit a speed bump or a pot hole I feel like the car is more unsettled then it should be. This might just be me though getting all OCD about this rubbing sound.

Other threads have said things such as bad CV joints, bad struts, wheel bearings, pads etc... I am not sure what to do now. Don't want to go back to the dealer for the fourth time and, once again, not get any results. :eek:

A while back I took this car into the dealer for a clicking noise when I reverse and they said there was no lube whatsoever on the front axle. Maybe this could have something to do with this noise? I am no mechanic [obviously].

Thanks!
I would take it to another dealer and have them look at it. I doubt very much if it is rust on the brakes. I gather it happens when driving slowly as well and not using the brakes. I don't think that not having any lube on the front axle, as you mentioned, should cause the brake pedal to stiffen.
If anyone should have rust on the barkes it would be me. I have had mine for just over a 1 1/2 years and only have around 6,500 miles on it. It will sit in the garage for 3 -4 days without moving and I don't have any brake noise.

Peter

i got a feeling its a normal break broken in noise.

Thanks for the replies. The rust on the brakes seemed kind of fishy to me too. I think I will bring it to another dealer. Thank you!

I just looked under the hood and saw that both rubber covers for the strut mount were off. Do you think there could be something wrong with the struts? I put them back on and they were really loose so maybe they just jiggled off themselves.

I just looked under the hood and saw that both rubber covers for the strut mount were off. Do you think there could be something wrong with the struts? I put them back on and they were really loose so maybe they just jiggled off themselves.
Also, have a look at the TSB 'sticky' at the beginning of thid forum and see if the following may apply.

11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011

Peter

I got the car back from the dealership and they said they found a stick in between my pad and my rotor. This did not remedy the grinding noise I am hearing/feeling though :mad:. I called FoMoCo customer service and they said there is actually a TSB for a similar problem;

11-10-29 FRONT BRAKES - INTERMITTENT SQUEAL
ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 MKS, Flex, Taurus, MKT and Explorer vehicles built between 8/10/2010 and 08/02/2011 and some 2011-2012 Taurus SHO not equipped with the Performance Package built between 8/10/2010 and 8/02/2011 may exhibit a low frequency squeal from the front brakes.

Sounds a lot like what I am experiencing. I think I will take the car back to the dealership [once again] with TSB in hand.

i just want to point out one thing, if your foot is on the break and you turn the steering all the way to one direction, you should a noise on some break pads cause the wheels will move foward/backwards.

i just want to point out one thing, if your foot is on the break and you turn the steering all the way to one direction, you should a noise on some break pads cause the wheels will move foward/backwards.
Break instead of Brake. This by far has to be the most mis-used word on this forum. :D

Peter

Break instead of Brake. This by far has to be the most mis-used word on this forum. :D

Peter

wow i didn't even catch what my hands were typing. sorry, and thank you.

wow i didn't even catch what my hands were typing. sorry, and thank you.

Watch out waskly, Peter is a piranha when it comes the break/brake corn-fusion. It's like blood in the water to him :D

He's busted me a bunch of times! (Durn it!!)

I tried jiggling my steering wheel around a little while the engine was on and I move it from side to side [about 1 inch] I hear a "clunk-clunk" like sound. Is that a normal sound? Maybe this is what is causing my grinding phenomena??

FoxTemple...When I was reading your post I thought I had written it. You wrote the exact same thing I told the dealership today! I contacted FoMoCo yesterday so they are supposed to be looking into it. I have to ask you if your issue was ever resolved? Funny thing is the dealership gave me a 2013 Explorer to drive today while they work on my 2011 Explorer (limited) and guess what??? It is making the same noise! Sorry you are going through or went through the same thing but I must say I am glad I'm not the only one...I was beginning to feel like the service department might have felt as if I was making it up.

FoxTemple...When I was reading your post I thought I had written it. You wrote the exact same thing I told the dealership today! I contacted FoMoCo yesterday so they are supposed to be looking into it. I have to ask you if your issue was ever resolved? Funny thing is the dealership gave me a 2013 Explorer to drive today while they work on my 2011 Explorer (limited) and guess what??? It is making the same noise! Sorry you are going through or went through the same thing but I must say I am glad I'm not the only one...I was beginning to feel like the service department might have felt as if I was making it up.

Unfortunately the problem is still here [and worse then ever]. I have been back to numerous dealerships at least 6 times for this issue. They have tried the squeaky brake TSB, resurfacing the rotors [after the did the brake TSB and even replacing the struts in the front. I am surprised that the limited they gave you made the same noise. I cannot get my friends ex to make the same noise. One time I got it to make it but it was extremely faint and unnoticeable unless you were listening for it. Does your problem sound similar to the problem that Ford Flex owners are having [link below]?

http://repairpal.com/brake-noise-front-grunting-grinding-030

foxtemple...it is a grinding noise when I back up out of my driveway and slowly accelerate. Or if I am turning a corner...Going over speed bumbs or like you said going through a parking lot. Or when it's turned off for a while when I first take off it happens again. I used to think it was when I pressed my brake on a turn but it is when I take off slowly from a stop. You can also feel a little vibration under the pedal. I went out on a limb and purchased a CPO, actually I went out on two limbs. It's my first time owning a Ford. I'm usually a chevy girl. I am very disappointed with my purchase. I purchased the vehicle in Oct of 2012 and it has been in the shop at least 5-6 times. The panels on each side of the wind shield flew off while I was driving it. (two separate occasions) Transmission had some work. The traction light wouldn't shut off. Also, when I go over speed bumps the front makes horrible noises. I just want a safe car to drive. So you say your noise has gotten worse? That is what I am afraid of. What is Ford doing to help you?

foxtemple...it is a grinding noise when I back up out of my driveway and slowly accelerate. Or if I am turning a corner...Going over speed bumbs or like you said going through a parking lot. Or when it's turned off for a while when I first take off it happens again. I used to think it was when I pressed my brake on a turn but it is when I take off slowly from a stop. You can also feel a little vibration under the pedal. I went out on a limb and purchased a CPO, actually I went out on two limbs. It's my first time owning a Ford. I'm usually a chevy girl. I am very disappointed with my purchase. I purchased the vehicle in Oct of 2012 and it has been in the shop at least 5-6 times. The panels on each side of the wind shield flew off while I was driving it. (two separate occasions) Transmission had some work. The traction light wouldn't shut off. Also, when I go over speed bumps the front makes horrible noises. I just want a safe car to drive. So you say your noise has gotten worse? That is what I am afraid of. What is Ford doing to help you?

Yes, I am noticing that the rubbing is getting worse. It is problem something loosening up more and more. I have gone to three Ford dealerships for this problem. I am happy to say that the dealership I am using now is being extremely helpful. Unlike the other two dealerships, this dealership has been able to replicate the problem every single time without fail. The have tried replacing the front rotors/pads, resurfacing the brakes and replacing the struts. Have you noticed that your brakes feel like they are extremely rusty in the morning?

Wehave been experiencing the same thing!!

I tried jiggling my steering wheel around a little while the engine was on and I move it from side to side [about 1 inch] I hear a "clunk-clunk" like sound. Is that a normal sound? Maybe this is what is causing my grinding phenomena??

We have had our strut bearings changed 3 times now...we have 54,000 kms
(30,00miles) on it. Feeling like we were the only ones until we read this. So frustrating! What did your dealership tell you about it?

We have had our strut bearings changed 3 times now...we have 54,000 kms...

Allow me to help defuse your frustration, sabby80. I highly recommend booking an appointment with your dealer. To locate one, click on this link: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate Please get back to me with the booking arrangements and diagnosis; I’ll assess the next step.

Kwasi

Kwasi

Allow me to help defuse your frustration, sabby80. I highly recommend booking an appointment with your dealer. To locate one, click on this link: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate Please get back to me with the booking arrangements and diagnosis; I’ll assess the next step.

Kwasi

Hi Kwasi,

All of our strut bearings issues have been dealt with by a dealership. 2 separate ones. We are very frustrated and they tell us that some of the explorers they have seen have these done once a month or once every two months. We live in rural Saskatchewan and drive gravel roads everyday. Our brother in law also has a 2013 Explorer and was having the same noises. The dealership also diagnosed it as strut bearings. Our warranty is just about up and we are sick and tired of dealing with the same problems. To be honest we are looking at trading it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what the costs of these repairs are but if you do intend to keep it, you might want to check into getting a Ford ESP before the warranty runs out.

Peter

Back