Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! 4wd Low Inop

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by snorecore, November 22, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. snorecore

snorecore New Member

City, State:
    dover, delaware
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '91 XLT
    i just purchased this explorer ( i haven't even picked it up yet)

it's a 91 xlt, with 82,000 original miles
    i bought it from a girl who inherited it from her grandfather, i only paid $2000, i still think i made out, my only known problem so far is the lack of 4wd low, actually here's the deal...

i test drove it once, i pressed the 4wd HIGH button, and the light came on, of course i didn't get to test it out, because i was on dry pavement... so i am no absolutey sure if all 4 wheels were turning... i stopped, put in neutrual... pressed the 4 Low, NO light, put it in gear, and it definitaly was not in low gear, i tried almost everything, even dropping it in lower gears... so my big question is....

Electrical or Mechanical????? what do you guys think, i know you all have vast more amounts of wisdom than i do about fords.

I asked the owner, and they said it has never worked since they had it... they never used it.

So where should i start? what do i need to do to get my 4wd Low light on, and 4wd Low actually working??

I live on the beach, so i could definitaly use it.

Thanks ever so much for listening to something i could have probably explained in a few short sentences...

ok let me know

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mdrut

mdrut Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inverness, Fl.
    '91 sport
    Electricalgo here
    Should answer your questions.
    Good Luck

4. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Vancouver B.C, Canada
    1992 XL Ex-Police
    Make sure the connection to the switch is tight too, and try pressing it over and over, sometimes they just get"rusty":D