HELP! 95 Ranger 2.3 Timing Issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 95 Ranger 2.3 Timing Issues?

Quief

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FLorida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger
Hello all, just trying to get some feedback on a truck that is seriosuly aggravating me to no end. Broke a timing belt about 3 months ago, went ahead and put a new water pump and timing belt kit with tensioner on it, but it won't start. :mad: It acted like it wasn't getting any spark, so I changed the cam position sensor and then the crank position sensor thinking that would help. It seems to have spark now but still won't start. :mad: Checked to make sure it's getting fuel and it is. Thought maybe it was the plugs and wires , changed those and still nothing!!!:mad: Thought maybe a bent valve or something so checked under the valve cover and it looks fine and did a compression test on all 4 cylinders today and they are ok. I'm at a dead end and don't know what to do. All the gears and timing marks line up but it seems like it is out of time and makes a backfiring noise out the exhaust. I've had 3 mechanics look at it and can't figure out what's wrong with it. One buddy has a digital Snap On timing light and we've been messing with it to see if it will show up, he put 4 quarterly marks on all the gear including the harmonic balancer and when cranking it today he said it appears to be 100-110 degrees out of time? How is that even possible with an electronic timed motor and no distributor??? We are both confused on how this can happen and what to do now. We were gonna try and move the cam gear back so maybe it will fire in the correct location? If the gears were that far out from the factory wouldn't they have just rejected the motor?? SOmething seriously wrong here and we can't for the life of us figure out what it is, any help????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..It may be that you missed the diamond shaped timing marks and used one of the other marks on the gears for reference..

..You really have to look hard for the diamond shape marks..;)

..Not sure if you had seen this..
timing_23.jpg

..And for those looking for more info on doing the timing belt repair on their 2.3L , this may be of some help..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276978&highlight=timing

Thanks Tbar. We've indexed them about 3 times. All the diamonds and triangles line up. Mechanic seems to think that the cam position gear is off,but not just by a few teeth. We've checked Top Dead Center twice to make sure that it is in the right location. Truck has never been apart before so I don't know where all the gears were to begin with. Harmonic balancer is in the right location, EVERYTHING is in the right location, we've checked them several times over to make sure. While cranking it and using a digital timing it appears it is 100-110 degrees out? We are gonna try and move the middle gear with the cam position sensor around and see if that will help! Thanks!!

You might be onto something there, didn't know you had to pull a spout connector? never even heard of it. And we've disconnected the battery several times ( had to replace it because it died on me so i exchanged it out). But initially when I first did the timing belt I disconnected the battery to change it with the new one, then later on again to restart the computer thinking maybe it might help. I will mention the spout connector to the mechanic tomorrow to see what he thinks. Does the battery have to be disconnected to set the sensors up when doing the timing belt. Thanks for the link i will take a look at it now.

Back