Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wanted Help 98 explore made a very loud bang!!!!!

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by zack991, July 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. zack991

zack991 Guest

I have a 4WD 1998 explore sport, in the past it has having a very hard time changing from 4wd back to 2wd and it would slam home HARD. When it was kept inn 2wd(auto) it works just fine. I was driving home today from work doing 55MPH and heard a horrible BOOOM. I pulled over thinking a tire had gone, I turned the truck off and checked and I saw nothing. I was able to drive home with no problems, but I remember the troubles with the 4wd in the past. I checked and sure enough, the rear differential looks like it has blown. I know the basics of a vehicle and I have changed out a few major parts but have zero clues about this. Could I take the back drive shaft out and could I use just the front wheels to drive or does this pose a safety issue? I leave in September for a deployment and just need it to work for two months.
      [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Check your driveline for play.. The u-joints & the slip yoke to be specific.

4. zack991

zack991 Guest

ok thanks I will, I am tearing it apart on saturday.

5. zack991

zack991 Guest

I opened it up today and just got done. I replaced it with an actual gasket and High Temp silicone for a air tight seal. Who ever opened it last used a small bead of silicone only. I had a dickens of a time finding the fill plug. I put a heaver weight Oil in 85w/140. As well as a bottle of Lucas stop leak oil additive. I saw no damaged teeth or metal shavings and the gears are working perfectly. It seemed that the blown gasket was the problem. I am letting the silicone setup over the next few days to make sure we have no further leaking issues.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]