Help! 98 explorer lift uk | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 98 explorer lift uk

Reaction score
City, State
Liverpool, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4.0l
Can anybody help Im trying to fit 33,s on my explorer but nobody in the uk seems to know anything about them. I,m not sure on the exact model of my ex but it,s a 98 4x4 on torsion bars at the front leafs on the rear .It also has self leveling shockers on the rear ?.There is a wheel arch and side skirt kit on it <factory> and the power is from a 4.0l s.o.h.c. v6 . I have been thinking of a body lift but no one here supply,s them .Is this the way to go and if so is there anyone overthere that will ship to the uk .ste uk :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your probably going to want a Performance Accessories 2 or 3 inch body lift. Even with the 3 inch, 33's may still be tight. You may need to add a torsion bar adjustment, and a set of rear shackles(Warrior 153) or an add-a-leaf which goes into the rear leaf springs. You can trick the air ride in the rear to pump the bags up higher by raising the limit switches, but this setup wouldn't hold up to off road abuse. For street driving it should be fine.

Thanks for that info .would you know if performance accessories has a web site so i can find out if they ship to the uk. Also my front tyres have been wearing out on the inside edge but my wheel alignement is ok ? any ideas ? Thanks again for the info .ste uk

What makes you think the alignment is good? Could need the camber adjusted.

i,ve had the tracking tested and that came back good but they never tested the camber . the wheels do splay out at the bottom . how is this adjusted or is it a case of worn parts . it,s only done this since i went off road .I thought i might of stretched the torsion bars .ste uk

For lift you can order your shackles from 4 wheel parts.
The body lift and the aal can be purchased form summit racing
Both companies should ship overseas if you don't mind the high shipping costs.
Part number;
Pro-Comp AAL = pro-comp13120
Body lift 3"= PA-883
Shackles-= War-153

You will definately need to get an alignment done after any suspension lift.
With a second gen this is a little expensive the first time you get an alignment as they need to install an adjuster on one side.
I have no clue why ford left it off on one side :rolleyes:

With all this you should clear 33" tires. I am trying for 33x12.5 on the same set-up, but think I will likely end up going with the 33x10.5 to minimize trimming.

Back