1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help! 98 explorer lift uk

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by ste uk explorer, December 18, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ste uk explorer

ste uk explorer New Member

City, State:
      Liverpool, England
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 4.0l
      Can anybody help Im trying to fit 33,s on my explorer but nobody in the uk seems to know anything about them. I,m not sure on the exact model of my ex but it,s a 98 4x4 on torsion bars at the front leafs on the rear .It also has self leveling shockers on the rear ?.There is a wheel arch and side skirt kit on it <factory> and the power is from a 4.0l s.o.h.c. v6 . I have been thinking of a body lift but no one here supply,s them .Is this the way to go and if so is there anyone overthere that will ship to the uk .ste uk :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Your probably going to want a Performance Accessories 2 or 3 inch body lift. Even with the 3 inch, 33's may still be tight. You may need to add a torsion bar adjustment, and a set of rear shackles(Warrior 153) or an add-a-leaf which goes into the rear leaf springs. You can trick the air ride in the rear to pump the bags up higher by raising the limit switches, but this setup wouldn't hold up to off road abuse. For street driving it should be fine.

4. ste uk explorer

City, State:
      Liverpool, England
      98 4.0l
      Thanks for that info .would you know if performance accessories has a web site so i can find out if they ship to the uk. Also my front tyres have been wearing out on the inside edge but my wheel alignement is ok ? any ideas ? Thanks again for the info .ste uk

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      What makes you think the alignment is good? Could need the camber adjusted.

6. ste uk explorer

City, State:
      Liverpool, England
      98 4.0l
      i,ve had the tracking tested and that came back good but they never tested the camber . the wheels do splay out at the bottom . how is this adjusted or is it a case of worn parts . it,s only done this since i went off road .I thought i might of stretched the torsion bars .ste uk

7. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      For lift you can order your shackles from 4 wheel parts.
      The body lift and the aal can be purchased form summit racing
      Both companies should ship overseas if you don't mind the high shipping costs.
      Part number;
      Pro-Comp AAL = pro-comp13120
      Body lift 3"= PA-883
      Shackles-= War-153

You will definately need to get an alignment done after any suspension lift.
      With a second gen this is a little expensive the first time you get an alignment as they need to install an adjuster on one side.
      I have no clue why ford left it off on one side :rolleyes:

With all this you should clear 33" tires. I am trying for 33x12.5 on the same set-up, but think I will likely end up going with the 33x10.5 to minimize trimming.