HELP!! 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer PROBLEM!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer PROBLEM!!

sdog200

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Hey all, I had a question regarding my 1998 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 Eddie Bauer edition. Recently, my battery died. When I jumped it and started driving the battery light would not turn off. Then the A/C stopped, then the air suspension, then the front passenger window. After driving further, the battery started to leak battery acid and I could smell the sulfur in my car while driving. Also, every day I had to jump the car, every day it would take longer to start and eventually it would not get jumped. I went to get the battery charged where I bought it and they said the battery was bad so they gave me a new one.
I am now trying to diagnose my car so that I can fix it. So far I checked the alternater, the fuses, and I replaced the battery but still the battery light is on, the a/c chooses when to work, and the right window wont go up (suspension started to work again). I think the window's motor might have died but I am afraid if I keep driving my car as is the same problem might return. Did anyone have this problem, know what I am going through, or know how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a serious computer issue not the battery, if you have checkled the fuses and alternator, my guess would be the computer there a thread I posted about a vibration problem I was having another member posted a link to one of his threads regarding the computer Let me see if I can get you the link.

You say that everytime you had to have the car jumped that it would take longer. I'm afraid that what could have been a problem as simple as the alternator may have turned into something where multiple components have been affected. How did you "check the alternator". Did you remove it and have it tested at a parts store. Just an FYI, but I've had good alternators to test bad and bad alternators to test good. The last time I had a part tested at a parts store, it was a starter and they told me it would need to be replaced at the tune of $180. I took it outside of the store and "jumped" it from a battery and it worked fine. I went home and reinstalled it and it was perfect and drove the vehicle for another 20k miles with no problems before I sold it.

so here is the latest... I brought it to a repair shop and they said that the alternator was causing the problems and that this was a reoccuring thing in explorers. They said that the alternator might test good but that usually it will start to mess up 30 min into a drive or if I am towing a lot. They asked for $400. $255 for a 130 watt alternator, $50 for a serpentine belt (which they said is the cause of the malfunction) and $90 for labor. I have shopped around and most places carry stock alternators for $100-200 but I wanted to know if anyone else had a problem like this and whether I really need this expensive alternator. Right now my car is broke down with a brand new battery in it that I drove probably 30 miles with. It started up fine for two days before it completely died, again.... oh and bty, I tested the alternator by disconnecting the battery and then I took it to Autozone so they could test it and both tests showed no problems.

Back