Help 99 no start. security light blinking fast. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help 99 no start. security light blinking fast.

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I was away this past week visiting my new granddaughter. Got home Friday. Wife calls from work explorer won't start. won't even jump. My youngest went out to rescue her. (she works 20 miles out of town.)
So once she gets home. she says that it wouldn't start on thurs and my son was able to jump it. Started no problem. So I am thinking OK Alt bad. I pick up an alternator from work. Go drive all the way out their throw it in.
Jump it nothing. Now she tells me that is what it did earlier would crank but not start. OH great I just threw a new alternator in it.
We don't hear the fuel pump prime. OK so the fuel pump is toast. swap the alt for a new fuel pump this morning. So back out to her school. I dissect the floor boards getting access to the fuel pump low and behold I don't have the proper disconnect tool to pull the fuel line.:rant::rant:
ever since last night I have been wondering I noticed that every time the truck was turned on the theft light would flash really fast. but back to normal flashing with it off. I have changed to a regular key and taped the chip above the lock cylinder.

Could the security system be causing the problem with the fuel pump not running.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could the security system be causing the problem with the fuel pump not running.
short answer yes
Your chip may not be close enough to the ignition transceiver

The pump should prime when you turn the key
When the light flashes fast the pats security system disables the fuel injectors

People will chime in with advice better than I can give you

I may have to check it. It was working up till the problems started. SO it may have moved.

Tim

The security system (PATS) does not turn off the fuel pump. It turns off the fuel injectors.

The THEFT light blinking fast does point to the security system not seeing/reading the expected coded key. Start by looking there.

short answer yes
Your chip may not be close enough to the ignition transceiver

The pump should prime when you turn the key
When the light flashes fast the pats security system disables the fuel injectors

People will chime in with advice better than I can give you

The security system (PATS) does not turn off the fuel pump. It turns off the fuel injectors.

The THEFT light blinking fast does point to the security system not seeing/reading the expected coded key. Start by looking there.

I think we are on the same page lol basically the same reply yours is more eloquently stated

Check the connector at the side of the ignition key cylinder. That needs to be properly attached, or the key code won't be received.

You can tell if the key code is accepted when you turn the key to on. If the THEFT light still flashes, it failed to accept the key code. When the THEFT light stays lit constantly with the ignition on, then the code was accepted.

Yep, I was the chip I just had to retape it.

Thanks for the help

Tim

With the heat of summer tape probably will not hold. If it were me, I'd use a dab of something like 3M weather stripping adhesive. Strong, but it remains flexible and will stick to anything.

Hot glue completely removed fast

Back