Help A/C problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help A/C problem

90gsplx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have a 92 ex. It used to blow cold A/C. One day it stopped. Yesterday I noticed a couple of my vacuum lines were broken at the A/C box. The last time I charged the A/C I put a compressor of a friend’s truck and it never blew cold air. I put my old A/C compressor back on my buddy’s truck and he charged and it blows cold. I also blew my condenser out and put in a new orifice tube. Could the vacuum lines being broke do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i would start by replacing any broken lines and have you tested power at the a.c clutch connector?

In a 92, the lines supply vacuum to the A/C control panel. If it is set to MAX A/C, vacuum is passed on to a vacuum dashpot which opens the system to outside air instead of recirculation. A problem with these lines may cause less than perfect A/C, but it should still be cool air.

FYI, in later 1st generation, there is also a manifold in the heater hoses that bypasses the heater core when it is on MAX A/C.

I happened to be looking at these lines today and found a nick in one of them. I spliced it up, and I got performance I never knew was there in A/C. I was lucky to find that little hole!

By the way, Orielly's should have that plastic line and fittings in stock. I made my splice by cutting the end off a long rubber vacuum fitting cap and fitting the ends in from either side, then overwrapped with electrical tape. Heat shrink tubing would probably work just as well to make a splice.

Where is the Orifice Tube located on the 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4? I was told it was in 2 different places and can not locate it in my auto manual.

Please Help Me

:salute:
Where is the Orifice Tube located on the 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4? I was told it was in 2 different places and can not locate it in my auto manual.

Where is the 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 Orifice tube? I was told it was in 2 completely different places.

needhelp1,

It's in the line between the evaporator core and the condensor.
Which is down under the accumator/dryer, sort of down and to the engine side of the air filter box.
You should find a connection there in the hard line.

Hope that helps!

Back