Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help - A4LD Valve Body Version - 1994 Ranger Confusion

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by fiftyfordfloored, December 24, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. fiftyfordfloored

fiftyfordfloored Explorer Super Upper Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittstown, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Ranger 4.0 4x4 XL
    Pulled the A4LD out of my '94 Ranger (4.0L, Ext cab, 4x4) and I'm in the process of tear down and I've ordered almost all the parts I need... However, upon closer inspection of the valve body, it's casting numbers are not what I expected to find in a '94... 88GT-ACR and P88GT-7A10-ACR. I had thought the 91GT should be in there for a '94, but unfortunately its a Jasper unit. I guess my question is, did they play a game of mix'n'match, and are the valve bodies interchangeable? I can't seem to find much valve body information. To compound the issue, I had already ordered everything for the later unit including the solenoids. :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. transman304

transman304 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Morgantown WV
    2001 Honda Accord
    As long as it is the 2 solenoid version it will work.

4. fiftyfordfloored

fiftyfordfloored Explorer Super Upper Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittstown, NJ
    1994 Ranger 4.0 4x4 XL
    Anyone know a good place to find the updated version that doesn't cost $175? Or should I send the solenoids back and just use this valve body? I can't seem to find much information on the different year valve bodies, what improvements were made, etc...

5. Squashman

Squashman New Member

1994 Ranger Splash
    Just want to re-verify that the solenoids are the same regardless of the valve body model. I have the 88GT valve body in my 94 Ranger but the solenoids I am seeing on eBay say they won't work with the 88GT and only with the 91DT and 91GT.

Buying them on eBay or Amazon is a bit scary. If anyone could recommend a reputable place online to get them, that would be great.