HELP! ABS out and no ride to work! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! ABS out and no ride to work!

italiankid1119

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Exploder Sport
i have a 97 x sport. today i was driving on ice and all of a sudden i lost my brakes and heard the abs pump cycling. I looked under the hood and saw one of my 4 green anodized "caps" on my abs pump was missing. i dont know where it went or anything, it was just gone and fluid was leaking out. What are these? where can i get them? any info will be helpful. a new pump is 1200 and i paid 300 for the whole truck. Thanks in advance.

60081861.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the proper name for that is the hydraulic control unit and electronic control module, i'm not positive but i believe those "caps" are some type of a sensor that aid in stopping brake fluid when a locking of the brakes is detected. i checked my Haynes manual for a name on those parts and couldn't find one. i think your best bet would be to hit a junkyard and pick one up that looks like its in decent shape.

Well i appreciate the reply. im new to the forums and i was looking in the classifieds and found one for $10 and theres a used one on ebay for $80. but for now im hoofin it to work :( sucks bein a broke ass teenager.

try duct tape

saw one of my 4 green anodized "caps" on my abs pump was missing.

I believe those caps cover the ends of the solenoid actuated valves that make up the physical side of the 4WABS. They are controlled by the electronic control module (ECU) which is the silver box below them. I do not know why one would come off. Nor do I have enough information to direct you where to buy a new one.

When you replace it or get it fixed you will need to have the unit bleed by a dealership to get air out of the brake lines.

If you purchase a replacement I may be interested in buying the broken unit from you.

i plan on getting a replacement soon and ill let you know when i do. can i ask why you would need a broken abs pump for just out of curiosity?

Back