Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help! Bad squeaking in springs or UCA

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by bmeadow1, May 1, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. bmeadow1

bmeadow1 Member

City, State:
    north carolina
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 XLS
    Lately I have had some bad squeaking from my front end on every little bump and I can't tell if I need new shocks bc I still have stock ones or I need to lubricate my BTF UCAs since I haven't ever did that to them?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. armysoldier30263

armysoldier30263 Active Member

City, State:
    Shaw AFB, SC
    05 BLACK 4.0 XLT
    How long have you had the ucas on? My stock uca bushings started squeaking immediately after i installed the spacers

4. Limited02

Limited02 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gardner, KS
    '02 Limited V8
    Spray some WD-40 onto your front swaybar bushings. That is the most commone place you will find frontend squeaks and it's the easiest to check. If the problem still persist, try lubing the UCA's next.

5. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    WD-40 is really just a bandaid and won't fix the underlying problem in your situation.

The BTF spacers put a lot of downward stress on the front swaybar bushings (the ones mounted to the frame) and make them prone to squeaking. I made a set of extended swaybar links using these instructions (even though the writeup is for a 2nd gen, it's really the same procedure pretty much) and lubed up the frame bushings with white lithium grease...they haven't made a sound in months and I now have less body roll in turns since the swaybar functions correctly again:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211&highlight=links