Help! Brakes Locked! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

redrover1998

Reaction score
City, State
Canton,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a '99 Ford Explorer Sport and today my brakes locked up. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but I will work just fine in drive but as soon as I put it reverse,it refuses to move until the rear end just finally starts giving way and jumping. I'm at a loss as to what's wrong with it and how I can fix it. It's as if the calibers are locked up. Can anyone please help me with identifying the problem and how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it works fine in drive and not in reverse, I'd suspect the trans and not the brakes.

It might be you've lost a brake caliper bolt and that the caliper is jamming against the wheel when you try to go in reverse. This is not uncommon and sometimes will even break the wheel. Remove your wheels and check to see if both caliper bolts are in place. The offending wheel should have scratches on the back where the caliper was hitting it.

If you've lost a caliper bolt you can get a new one a any auto parts store. I suggest you remove all the caliper bolts, apply blue Loctite to the threads, reinstall the bolts and torque them to 25-30 foot pounds and you will be good to go.

Edit: As swhawaii added, also check the caliper bracket bolts.

Koda, does the '99 Sport have parking brake shoes? If so, pretty common for the lining to separate and jam the rotor.

BTW, finally completed my HVAC white faceplate fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, coulda listened to you. LOL Finished pics:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...ac-control-panel-overlay.415640/#post-3586449

Also, tried the Lion 100% pure Kona coffee this morning. IMO, nothing special and very overpriced. Hazelnut FTW.

Koda, does the '99 Sport have parking brake shoes? If so, pretty common for the lining to separate and jam the rotor.

BTW, finally completed my HVAC white faceplate fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, coulda listened to you. LOL Finished pics:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...ac-control-panel-overlay.415640/#post-3586449

Also, tried the Lion 100% pure Kona coffee this morning. IMO, nothing special and very overpriced. Hazelnut FTW.

Yes, it has parking brake shoes inside the rear rotors. Worth checking if the OP doesn't see anything else wrong.

RE Coffee - Tried a couple of flavors. So far I like the hazelnut coffee best.

Does that mean I have good taste? ;) Holy smokes, talk about thread jacking. Sorry OP, keep us posted with your findings. GL

I took a look at it and my slider pins are seized causing my calibers to seize up on the rotor. Thanks for everyone's helps I know what I have to fix now

My '01 sport's rear parking brake hardware rusted fused so that it was always 'on'. It took alot of tugging to get the disc/drum off and then a torch to separate the 2 piece lever that latches to the cable freeing up the shoes.

I took a look at it and my slider pins are seized causing my calibers to seize up on the rotor.
Be sure to use high temp silicone brake lube on the brake hardware. Permatex Ultra or Sil-Glyde (NAPA) are two popular choices.

Using ordinary chassis grease or anti seize will gum up and bind over time. Proof in the pics. I can thank Midas for that, never again.

9c105a60-b6c3-43b9-be8b-f521748ef321.jpg
DSC03569.jpg

Back