Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

HELP! CEL and Battery Dying!!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by gooter87, November 5, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gooter87

gooter87 New Member

City, State:
    Orem, Utah
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Ford Explorer
    Hey Guys,

Back to the question board... I have a 1993 EB Explorer that 2 weeks ago my CEL came on about 10 mins into driving... Then it went off, then it came back on. It does this everyday. It is never consistent in the timing that it takes to come on. They **ONLY** electrical work that i have done to it would be Adding a 4 Gauge power wire for my amplifier ( now unhooked to rule out) and my driver side blinker, which the bracket seems burnt and black, but works and my headlight switch which had gone bad. No other electrical work has been done. I had my battery tested and they said it was fine. I don't know what would be causing this. Unrelated in May i had a head job done, due to a leak between cyl. 5 & 6. Have been driving everyday since may so this is a new occurrence. Any insight would be awesome and appreciated!!:D

thanks!

:usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    How old is the battery? If you don't know or didn't buy it new it could just be going and it's time for a new one.

CEL could be anything, your best bet is to buy a code reader or go to Advance or Autozone and have them read the codes using the OBD I port for free, which will let you know what exactly is causing the CEL. From there you can then inspect the parts in question and/or decide what to replace.

4. gooter87

gooter87 New Member

City, State:
    Orem, Utah
    1993 Ford Explorer
    thanks for the info...i have a diagram on how to check the codes myself using the paperclip methos..but don't know if I can do it while it's running...as when I shut it off the codes are cleared. Would a bad batter cause a CEL? They put it under load as a 30 degree start wouldsince I live in utah and it's gettin cold...they said the CCA wasfine...i didn't buy it new this explorer was givin to me non running and I nursed her back to health...