Help - Driver's Side Power Seat STUCK up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Driver's Side Power Seat STUCK up

archi_bum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XTL 8cyl.
Hello forum.

This is my first post. I did do a search on the issue and have so far been unsuccessful. I bought a new-used 2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8 yesterday with 120K miles. Gets up and goes just fine and looks real clean to boot. Unfortunately, being that I got a really good deal on it - it came with a few snackfus. The first one and most immediate is the driver's side power seat. The horizontal seat switch does not work and its stuck at the highest setting - my head nearly hits the ceiling while driving - lol. backward and forward work fine. Up, down, and tilt do not work at all - i can however hear the motor trying to do something when depressing the switch. When I looked under the seat I did not see any indication of anything trying to budge while trying the switch. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could give.

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update - Still need help - seat still stuck up

So I tried another switch - the exact switch from another vehicle. It worked perfectly in the original vehicle but performed the same way in my explorer. So I'm surmising that it's not the actual switch. UP, DN, and TILT still make a sound when depressed but there is no movement in the seat.

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm trying. Still need a hand.

Thanks!

Hello forum.

This is my first post. I did do a search on the issue and have so far been unsuccessful. I bought a new-used 2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8 yesterday with 120K miles. Gets up and goes just fine and looks real clean to boot. Unfortunately, being that I got a really good deal on it - it came with a few snackfus. The first one and most immediate is the driver's side power seat. The horizontal seat switch does not work and its stuck at the highest setting - my head nearly hits the ceiling while driving - lol. backward and forward work fine. Up, down, and tilt do not work at all - i can however hear the motor trying to do something when depressing the switch. When I looked under the seat I did not see any indication of anything trying to budge while trying the switch. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could give.

Thank you in advance!
HAVE SAME PROBLEM Dealer says it is flexible drive cable which is broken, $1000 to fix have not found a replacement seat or mechanism.

I have the same prob with my 02 xlt.
The rear part of the seat don't move up or down anymore, the motor is turning & the front part works.
I looked under the seat when I unbolted it & had it still connected. The screw is not moving but I hit on it with a hammer slightly & it moved a little. Looks like a wire inside that makes the screw turn.
Also looks sorta like its all one piece.
Anyone have a fix for this?
Ill continue to search.

I went to my Ford dealer for a fix. The problem is that the link from the motor to the jack screw is a flexible drive cable which has separated from the screw mechanism. We are all screwed as a result. My estimate for a replacement was $1000. Fortunately my seat is in a comfortable position. I have looked online for a new power seat mechanism without any luck. I'll try the junk yards next. I have an '02 and I'm wondering if the F150 of that year will be the same unit?

Back