• Register Today It's free!

Help! EGR Fault code

missdawn1012

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I made a post a few weeks ago about this issue, but I got no responses. Here is a link to the post for the history - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336307

98 explorer, 130000 miles, replaced all spark plugs/wires, dpfe sensor, update to PCM.

Car intermittently (once a week about) will crank strong but not start. Check engine light is on and the code is EGR system fault.

Any idea as to what this is? I have to randomly call into work and then half the time half a day later the stupid things decides it wants to start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just read the other thread about your troubles, and I have to ask: Has anybody actually checked the wiring for the sensor to look for an "almost" broken wire? I have had this happen before, where a wire is almost broken in half, but, is holding together just enough to sometimes allow signal transfer to happen. As for the "unplugged/blocked" code, you need to check and make sure that the line is not doing what the code is saying. I have had to reconnect lines because they cam loose on one end after I had to move them to get to something.

No, but that was a good idea.

I finally decided to take it to another shop after 2 weeks of spontaneous re-occurrences of the intermittent starting issue.

They found out that it was the ignition coil/coil pack. Apparently it was not sparking a bright orange but a dull orange. It only costs 130 total to put this part on.

So now I am in the process of calling the Automotive Repair Bureau in Lansing, MI about the other issues with the Ford dealer. The mechanic I went with the last time told me all of those repairs were unnecessary and that the car would start with out the censor they put on and all of that stuff. Bah. -_-

I agree that a complaint should be filed against the dealership shop for this, and I would also see about filing it with Ford Corp. up in Detroit/Dearborn. May be you can get some satisfaction for the troubles that you have had. Glad to hear that you got it taken care of.

Or so I thought...

About 10 days after getting the ignition coil replaced, I am now back to a no start issue.

UGHHHH the frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back