HELP!! Explorer misfiring why!??! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MinorDetail

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Hello world, I just recently went through changing all the spark plugs and wires in my 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0. One week later I'm leaving work and 2 minutes down the road the truck bogs down and shuts off. Takes me 20 minutes to get started again after multiple attempts. Finally got started and drove to advanced to get tested. Multiple faults come back saying cylinder 4 and 8 were misfiring and also something to do with the "lean". So I checked and double checks the spark plugs and wires, so I figured I'd change the coil pack since 4&8 are on the same pack. Did nothing. Took back to advanced running like S$!T and they hooked back up and now 7 is also misfiring. They said it could be my cracked manifold or my fuel injector could be back. No idea what to do now. Manifold are just too dang expensive . Could someone help please !!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd suspect the plugs or the wires. Most likely the wires are not correctly installed. Check the firing order, and make sure you translated the sequence properly.

It's easy to mess it up ime.

I'd suspect the plugs or the wires. Most likely the wires are not correctly installed. Check the firing order, and make sure you translated the sequence properly.

It's easy to mess it up ime.
I checked double checked and triple checked the sparks and wires AND firing order is PERFECT.

There was a lean fault on the scanner that advanced ran on my truck so what could cause the lean

Change fuel filter under on frame rail, if it helps but not fix then you need a new pump

The lean condition can be caused by an air intake leak due to the crack in the intake or even exhaust manifold.

When egr is requested by the PCM, clean, unmetered air can leak in from a crack in the exhaust manifold.

If it is an intake manifold that is cracked, unmetered air will enter there triggering a lean condition.

are you sure none of the spark plug wires are touching the exhaust or egr tube?

Back