Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

HELP!! Explorer misfiring why!??!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by MinorDetail, August 15, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MinorDetail

MinorDetail New Member

City, State:
    PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Explorer
    Hello world, I just recently went through changing all the spark plugs and wires in my 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0. One week later I'm leaving work and 2 minutes down the road the truck bogs down and shuts off. Takes me 20 minutes to get started again after multiple attempts. Finally got started and drove to advanced to get tested. Multiple faults come back saying cylinder 4 and 8 were misfiring and also something to do with the "lean". So I checked and double checks the spark plugs and wires, so I figured I'd change the coil pack since 4&8 are on the same pack. Did nothing. Took back to advanced running like S$!T and they hooked back up and now 7 is also misfiring. They said it could be my cracked manifold or my fuel injector could be back. No idea what to do now. Manifold are just too dang expensive . Could someone help please !!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
    I'd suspect the plugs or the wires. Most likely the wires are not correctly installed. Check the firing order, and make sure you translated the sequence properly.

It's easy to mess it up ime.

4. MinorDetail

MinorDetail New Member

City, State:
    PA
    2001 Explorer
    I checked double checked and triple checked the sparks and wires AND firing order is PERFECT.

5. MinorDetail

MinorDetail New Member

City, State:
    PA
    2001 Explorer
    There was a lean fault on the scanner that advanced ran on my truck so what could cause the lean

6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    An un-monitored air leak.

7. 97-5.0

97-5.0 Member

City, State:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    1997 5.0 AWD
    Change fuel filter under on frame rail, if it helps but not fix then you need a new pump

8. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    The lean condition can be caused by an air intake leak due to the crack in the intake or even exhaust manifold.

When egr is requested by the PCM, clean, unmetered air can leak in from a crack in the exhaust manifold.

If it is an intake manifold that is cracked, unmetered air will enter there triggering a lean condition.

are you sure none of the spark plug wires are touching the exhaust or egr tube?