Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

help! front end "not so good vibrations"

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by spotted dogs, October 7, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. spotted dogs

spotted dogs Active Member

City, State:
      merritt, bc, canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 ltd 4.0 sohc
      I have noticed that at highway speed (90+kmh) I am getting a high frequency vibration and accompanying loud drone/hum out of my front end. I had an balance/alignment done in Aug so I doubt it's that, steering fluid good....it almost feels like the 4 high has kicked in and is not kicking out (the in dash light does not come on)... I am wondering if it is the sensor that kicks in the 4 wheel drive is malfunctioning...or a wheel bearing? (but I cannot tell if the noise is limited to one side).
      At lower speeds the noise is almost too subtle to hear but it is there. any hints? ( I' m at 109k km on the vehicle- 98 ltd sohc NOT awd)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pagz

pagz New Member

City, State:
      sacramento, ca
      97 sport
      how old are your tires? Are they wearing unevenly, maybe cupping, is the treads different colors? You may need to replace them.

4. spotted dogs

spotted dogs Active Member

City, State:
      merritt, bc, canada
      98 ltd 4.0 sohc
      tires ok

the tires (bridgestone dueller at) are ok -lots of tread left there probably is 60% tread life left . I think can eliminate that as there really is nothing obvious tire wise to account for that and the sound really is too loud to be tires (I have never heard tires get that loud on the road).
      thanks for the reply though.