1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help! Green Blood...

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by goobenet, December 27, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. goobenet

goobenet Active Member

City, State:
      Waite Park, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT
      My 1994 XLT recently started leaking antifreeze. Found out my radiator was starting to wear, so we replaced it with a new Modine OE replacement. At the same time, we replaced the t-stat. Noticed the truck started to warm up a bit more (the previous t-stat was stuck open), and then you could definately notice it open when it went from "R" on normal back to damn near the "C" at the far left. We wrote it off as normal since it's reasonably cold out in Minnesota this time of year, until xmas eve. Came out to find yet another cracked radiator, best we can tell. 1/2 a gallon easy on the ground of good ole' green. Pop the hood and the lower part of the radiator is full of antifreeze, and it looks to be leaking by where the plastic tanks meet the aluminum core.

I don't think the radiator was bad when i put it in, since it worked peachy for 3 days prior. But i'm now being told head gaskets can cause pressure buildup in the cooling system and cause this type of problem... Is this true? I'm staring at a $1200 repair bill hear guys, i need some help, and fast. I'm driving it as little as possible so i don't do some really bad damage. We did a vacuum test and after about 2 minutes, putting 25 lbs of vacuum through the new radiator, it was back to 0 lbs. Does this tell me anything? (other than a vacuum leak somewhere)

Funny thing is, the dancing temp gauge is the only indication that i might have an issue, other than the puddle.... nay, we're moving up to small lake status - other than that, the truck drives like it always has.

Help?! :confused: :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      Top the radiator off, and with the engine cold and the cap off, rev the motor. If it pukes water out the radiator, that a sign of a possible blown head gasket. You might also try replacing the rad cap. Is it leaking fluid when it runs, or when it sits?

Mike

4. goobenet

goobenet Active Member

City, State:
      Waite Park, MN
      94 XLT
      It leaks after it's been warmed up for about 20 minutes, then sits for at least 2 hours... so somewhere in that time frame when it cools down is when it craps.

When we did the radiator, we topped it off and let it run without the cap, and nothing ever spewed at that point... we did only run it for about 20 minutes at idle though...

5. goobenet

goobenet Active Member

City, State:
      Waite Park, MN
      94 XLT
      *bump* anyone?

I'm not convinced it's the Head Gasket since the antifreeze is not comming out anywhere on the engine that i can see. It leaks out the passenger side wheel well. (at least that's where the puddles accumulate) Only thing i can think of on that side is the drain plug on the radiator, but that's tight. Should i run a bottle of stopleak of some kind to see if that helps? I've read that stopleak can do more damage in the cooling system than good sometimes...

Help me out guys, or else i'm gonna spend $1200 on a not-so-needed head gasket. :(

6. svande8952

svande8952 Active Member

City, State:
      Prescott, AZ
      '94 Sport
      Check the oil, if it looks "malty" it has coolant in it. If it looks good and brown, you're all good.

7. goobenet

goobenet Active Member

City, State:
      Waite Park, MN
      94 XLT
      Oil is good and brown, it would seem. I found a couple of wetspots though. The t-stat neck is wet and the lower hose going into the radiator is wet. But these 2 items are oppesite the side where it's pooling. I looked at the heater lines and they look dry, it's a bit cold out to feel for it though. I'll try to look more later when i can get it into the shop and poke around.

8. sh'maal

sh'maal New Member

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      1991 Navajo
      Bad radiator still?

One more possibility is that the installed radiator is bad. Mine was replaced two years ago and the new one leaked within a week, but only when it was cold. Once it was warmed up it would seal itself and the car repair place could find nothing wrong. I would have to top it off daily when cold and bi-weeky when hot. I got tired of adding water a couple of months ago and replaced it. Now everything is tight. I broke up the old one and the core crimps around the plastic frame were unequal. I could see where the leak was on the gasket.