• Register Today It's free!

Help, have hit a dead end...

cblair77

Reaction score
City, State
Delta BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL
I just bought a 97 explorer XL with th control trac.. I have a rotational clunk i can feel at idle and gets faster as i acelerate. So i removed the rear shaft and the feeling went away? any help would be appreciated.. im a single dad a need this vehicle badly.. ujoints "seem" ok but im at a dead end.. HELP PLEASE!! and to add i have a 4405 transfer case in it.. rear end? ujoints?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im confused, how it can clunk at idle and the go away with the driveshaft removed. Driveshaft isnt moving at idle?

If the driveshaft wasn't reinstalled the way it was taken out it will most definately make some noises and oscillating movement (vibration) this is also true when the u-joints are worn out.

sorry, at idle speed.. but its only REALLY noticeable when im turning either left or right.. Replaced both lower ball joints and put a brand new set of tires on it... but definately rotational clunk or bump i can feel, no sound..??????

Back