HELP. How can I remvoe the center console and front panel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP. How can I remvoe the center console and front panel?

1992explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lantana, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I can;t find anything on 02 and later exoplorers relating to console removal. I am installing a satellite docking station. I need to access the cigarette lighter from the inside.

Any ideas?

I am an expert on this. I've had mine out more then a dozen times:
26351.jpg

There's a plug on the cigarette lighter to allow complete removal of the console.
Open the middle compartment and it just pops out. Works real easy. Just give it a good pull.

Thanks for the help, but could you provide a little more info? I found one bolt under the area in front of the cup holder. THe only other bolts I found were in the bottom of the cubby area. Do these need to be removed as well? I looked at the lighter, but I don't understand what you mean by "a plug". DO i need to pull the lighter out?

Thanks again.

1992explorer said:
Thanks for the help, but could you provide a little more info? I found one bolt under the area in front of the cup holder. THe only other bolts I found were in the bottom of the cubby area. Do these need to be removed as well? I looked at the lighter, but I don't understand what you mean by "a plug". DO i need to pull the lighter out?

Thanks again.
Odd. Mine didn't have the bolts. But yeah go ahead and try to pull them out. I seriously don't remember any bolts on that peice. I'll check tonight.

The cigarrette lighter is in the middle piece that pulls out. There's a plug connector about 2" out once you pop the console out. It just unplugs.

Damn I don't remember any bolts. I'll check thou.

Back