Help! I need to know if my truck's a lemon! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! I need to know if my truck's a lemon!

SpartanCavie

Reaction score
City, State
Waltham, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I bought this truck from a dealer about 2 weeks ago, so I can still bring it back as a lemon but I need some real advice.

stock 2004 XLT

Last night I was driving from my house to my girlfriends house. I was on the highway doing 65 with the cruise control on for about 20 minutes. Then I got off the highway onto a windy back road. I did 35-40 for about 3 or 4 minutes. I passed a cop and didn't want to risk speeding since I didn't know the speed limit for this road so I slowed down to about 32mph and hit the 'on' button for my cruise control, then I hit 'Set'. Doing this should have set the cruise control to 32mph and it should have taken over the moment I hit the 'set' button. Instead, the moment I hit the 'set' button, something very bad happened.

The rpm's dropped to 0, the gas pedal could be pushed all the way to the floor. The power steering gave out. I couldn't tell whether or not the engine actually stopped running or not, but I don't think it stopped since I didn't notice a volume change, but then again, my radio was on a little loud so I might not have noticed.

The 'Check Engine', 'Service Engine Soon' and battery light all came on. All of the electronics still worked.

I put my hazards on and coasted to my girlfriends driveway while the cop followed me there to make sure I was ok. I stopped, turned off the truck and immediately turned it back on and it was like nothing had ever happened. No lights, no issues.

I know I read somewhere on here this happening to someone, but since it hadn't happened to me, I didn't read what the outcome was and after searching for 20 minutes, I can't find that thread.

Please help :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I need to know if I should bring the truck back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all of the lights came on, it sure sounds like the truck stalled out.

If all of the lights came on, it sure sounds like the truck stalled out.

I've never had experience with an automatic stalling out. Is this bad enough to bring back?

I've never had experience with an automatic stalling out. Is this bad enough to bring back?

We've had ours for 12 months nearly, and it does this same thing every time, under similar conditions (around 45km/h) on the same stretch of road so we don't use cruise there any more. Apparently, a flash update of the ECU should fix this, though as you notice it stalling, if you gently apply the brake and it hasn't yet stalled, the engine revs will come back up.

This is "normal".
There were a couple of threads about this problem and you're not the only one with it. It's caused by cruise control, basically when you're going slightly downhill it can stall the engine. There were a couple of suggestions for a solution, I think the most recent one said to update the software version all over the car (transmission, etc.). (Dealer can do it.)
I don't think this qualifies your truck as a lemon and even if nothing gets fixed it's not a major issue. I left it as it is and simply pay attention not to use cruise control when going downhill.

I think that this one instance of one problem will be hard to justify as a lemon; however, I think that this problem is concerning and a potential safety problem. I would not be happy with just not using cruise control going downhill.

I recommend having the selling dealer look into it, and get it resolved. Sounds like it may be as simple as a software flash of the ECU. Good Luck.

I think that this one instance of one problem will be hard to justify as a lemon; however, I think that this problem is concerning and a potential safety problem. I would not be happy with just not using cruise control going downhill.

I recommend having the selling dealer look into it, and get it resolved. Sounds like it may be as simple as a software flash of the ECU. Good Luck.

It's not the downhill part - it's the combo of downhill, low throttle input from the cruise and the engine speed (ie in top gear, between 30 to 40 mph). If you use cruise only above 45 mph, then you should be fine (in fact the owners manual suggests not to use cruise in built up areas).

My '04 does it too with a new Flash, i think its a combo, downhill, low throttle, high gear. If cruisng at a low spped and you call for it to slow down - hitting coast, it will try no matter what, till it kills all fuel and throatle to get it there - oopps.
Never a problem at highway speed, works real well.
In the past they used to say don't use cruise below 45mph, on my jeep cruise is tripped off below 35mph ish.

i have a 1992 ford exploer and mine did the same thing i took it back and they replace all my sensors and it has not done it anymore since that i would try to do that but mine is a clutch not a auto :exporange

Hello. I am a new member to this forum and I have the exact same problem. When I transition from 55 to 40 or less and use cruise control, my engine dies (quietly without hesitation). I have had this truck for less than a month but purchased it from a friend who found it at auction for me (so I cannot return it). Everything is great with it (it is beautiful, pearl with leather, dvd, cd etc). Have they figured out what is wrong with yours?

just as an FYI Lemon Laws only apply to new vehicles. Unless it is a clause that the dealership itself has in their used car warranty.

But if you buy a used car it does not fall under any lemon laws state or federal .

Back