Help I scraped the outside door pillar (plastic part) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help I scraped the outside door pillar (plastic part)

charliez

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT 4x4
Well ... while I enjoyed the recent snowstorm in metro Seattle with about 12 inches in my neighborhood, the collateral damage was my door finish.

I was scraping ice from the external keypad on the door, plastic on plastic apparently leave scuff marks.

Would the plastic shine again if I buff/polish it with regular polishing compound?

Or must it also be treated with some other compound to restore the shiny luster?

Thanks, CharlieZ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well ... while I enjoyed the recent snowstorm in metro Seattle with about 12 inches in my neighborhood, the collateral damage was my door finish.

I was scraping ice from the external keypad on the door, plastic on plastic apparently leave scuff marks.

Would the plastic shine again if I buff/polish it with regular polishing compound?

Or must it also be treated with some other compound to restore the shiny luster?

Thanks, CharlieZ

I have a similar problem. After we got home with our XLT, I noticed the same area had plenty of swirl marks where someone had used the wrong type of rag or whatever and I don't know how to remove the marks without doing more damage. Can anyone make any suggestions? There is NO inconspicuous area to test. All is highly visible.

Joe

Install the door pillars trim chrome or carbon.

If the scratches are not deep, you could use polishing compound with a DA.

If the scratches are a little deep you could wet sand with 2000 or 3000 grit and then lightly compond followed with the polishing compound with a DA.

Stay away from the key pad.

Don't touch them, very easy to scratch, ask your local bodyshop, if really bad just replace them.

On front of the front door is black tape and this does not scratch very easy. The part that we are speaking about is the black plastic located on the back of the front door and the front of the rear door. This part is plastic.

The service manual explains how to take out the scratches, as I explained in the thread prior.

My dealer said the part had to be replaced. Once a read the service manual and followed the directions, I was able to remove the scratches.

Your car your choice.

Thanks, CharlieZ

if possible pictures would help...

Thanks, I'll check the service manual and report back.

Unfortunately it is right on the keypad ...

Back