Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help Installing OEM Entertainment

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by WmTasker, April 18, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. WmTasker

WmTasker New Member

City, State:
    Crestline Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Explorer XLT
    I just bought a 2004 Explorer for a family vehicle and to pull my camper this year. I have three daughters and need some entertainment for the road. My XLT has a sunroof and I found an OEM entertainment system for sale from a salvaged explorer.

My Questions:
    1. The entertainment system has a female plug on the back for hooking up. Do you think there is a male plug already above the head liner?
    2. Have anyone installed one of these before or have an ideal where I can find directions?
    3. I have the OEM single CD player. Can I just unplug it and plug in the 6 CD player for that year? Or is there a better after market system out there?

All opinions are welcomed and thanks for any help you can provide.
    Billy

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    You might be better off with a plan B. Someone tried a while back and was missing the harness, and brackets.

Check to see if there is a Green Harness plug 16pin, near the top of the 'C' post. Above the right rear passenger seat belt. In the back of the radio, you should find a 20pin connector full of wires. You might also need the bracket on top of the roof that the thing is held in place by. In the pic its the silver bracket on the center and top of the roof, the green plug is out of the picture. If you had all the wiring it might be doable. . .thats why i believe the guy just bought something to hang from the headrests.

Attached Files:

4. WmTasker

WmTasker New Member

City, State:
    Crestline Ohio
    2004 Explorer XLT
    Any thoughts on how hard it would be to put an aftermarket dvd in?

5. 1996BLKBauer

1996BLKBauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    McHenry, IL
    1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
    Real easy, making it look good is the hard part. some just strap to the head rests, others you need to cut, and mount them, it is really up to you. I have seen some real nice flip down units, but if I where you I would go with the ones that simply strap the the back of the headrests.

6. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    The OEM screen is small too, but works OK.
    Aftermarket would be easy, 3 wires - Batt, ACC and ground, and a bigger screen. Not sure how they would mount or how easy to install? I've seen one that hung between the seats off the head rests. do you have the 3rd row? with those your going to want to hang it from the roof so the 3rd row can see it.

7. WmTasker

WmTasker New Member

City, State:
    Crestline Ohio
    2004 Explorer XLT
    I do have the third row. I had thought about something between the seat but might have to rethink it now. Thanks.

8. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    search Amazon "auto dvd player roof mount" found like over a 100 around $200.
    One in particular PYLE PLRD133F looks like its mounted on a 4th Gen.

9. WmTasker

WmTasker New Member

City, State:
    Crestline Ohio
    2004 Explorer XLT
    I also have a sunroof. I wonder how much that will complicate things. I saw a 2005 on autotrader that had both sunroof and aftermarket DVD. I just have to figure out how to peek under my headliner to see if there are mounts there.