1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HELP! Long Cranks and Fuel Smell

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by tarozema, December 24, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tarozema

tarozema New Member

City, State:
      Belleville, Mi
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 4.0L SOHC XLT
      I have a 2000 XLT 4.0L SOHC, lately I have noticed long cranks to get the engine started, once started it runs fine. After driving around for a while I come back to the garage and I notice a heavy fuel smell. Looked under the hood for leaks didn't notice anything. The strongest smell comes from the driver side of the engine compartment. I am in the boonies, worried about safety and engine issues. Thanks for your help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mf94_4x4

mf94_4x4 Member

City, State:
      Massachussetts
      2007 Mountaineer
      Just some possiblilities...

Your Truck sounds new, 2000 shouldnt be too rusted underneath.... but i when my Fuel Pump rusted out, in my 94 it would crank for a while, start and run fine, but it leaked fuel out from the return line connection on the fuel pump which had completely rusted out.. The tank and fuel pump are located on the drivers side right next to the rear tire. I would get a real strong gas smell and see gas actually dripping from under the truck... I would start it up and check under the rear of the truck.. for any gas smell / leaks. If u see them, i wouldnt reccomend driving it untill fixed.

As for the smell coming from the Drivers side in the engine compartment i dont know you might have a leaky fuel line or fitting somewhere, i belive the lines run inside the Drivers side frame rail, i know mine do. Could have a leak near the motor in one of the lines, or fuel rails. Could be tricky to pinpoint the leak id start up the truck and open the hood and take a look around with a flashlight for any leaks, and probably crawl under there and look for any wet areas.

Could also be a clogged fuel filter, if its full of crap it wont flow well causint the long cranks to build enough pressure to get it through the filter and possibly also power loss. Donnow about the gas smell on that one though

4. tarozema

tarozema New Member

City, State:
      Belleville, Mi
      2000 4.0L SOHC XLT
      I found the leak!

The leak appears to be coming from the portion of the fuel rail where the schrader valve connects. There are two bolts that connect the schrader valve housing to the rail. I believe the gasket might be going bad, I am going ot the Ford dealer today to see if I need a whole new rail or if I can just replace the schrader valve portion.

5. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Test your fuel pressure.

Good luck...