HELP!! Lost All Gears in Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Lost All Gears in Sport Trac

MarkLiddick

Reaction score
City, State
Enola, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
So my 02 Sport Trac has 178k miles on it. I use it as a spare vehicle now so it does not get driven much. Only 4k miles last year. Runs Great never any problems with transmission.

About a year ago I found the Tranny Cooler Line had a leak, so i repaired it and topped it off with a half quart of Lucas Tranny Fix.

Yesterday I took it on the PA Turn Pike for a 50 mile drive. Before I left I put abotu 1/4 QT of Lucas Tranny Fix in. Probably longest its been driven at one time in a few months. Long story short, about 40 miles in all of a sudden felt like I hit a bump in the rear, Tach and Speedo both pegged and I had no gears. I coasted to the side, put it in park and shut if off. Started it back up about ten minutes later and turned the OD off. Took off like no problem, shifted smoothly and felt like I had full power. About 10 miles later I came to my exit and as soon as I went through the Toll Booths and went to accelerate again I lost all gears again. This time they did not come back no matter how long it sat.

I noticed when i had it in drive or reverse if i tried putting it in park i would hear chattering/grinding right underneath me.

If i Put it in 4WD Low, I got gears back for the tow truck driver to drive it up on the flatbed and back off to a parking spot later.

I just got it towed home today, let it run and kept going forward to reverse in my driveway, all of a sudden i lost all gears until i put it in 4WD LOW, then I got gears back.

Any Ideas? Is trannsmission gone or could it be I have too much Lucas in there now causing issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transfer case is bad. Have a problem with the shift rail wears into the case and will give these symptoms. Be careful when parking as park will not hold securely with case bad.

Transfer case is bad. Have a problem with the shift rail wears into the case and will give these symptoms. Be careful when parking as park will not hold securely with case bad.

Its on a flat surface for now. Mechanic said Transmission needed rebuilt or replaced. You think its just the Transfer Case and not the transmission? The fluid does appear to be slightly brown and smell slightly burnt.

Would it just go out like that out of nowhere.

Yes it will just go out like that. The statement you made about the noise it is making when trying to put it in park means the transmission is spinning. If trans was bad it wouldn't move in four low. The shift rail and fork wear allowing the range hub to slip out and disengage the TC. Well known problem with this case.

Yes it will just go out like that. The statement you made about the noise it is making when trying to put it in park means the transmission is spinning. If trans was bad it wouldn't move in four low. The shift rail and fork wear allowing the range hub to slip out and disengage the TC. Well known problem with this case.

Thanks for all your help. I take it theres no chance of it being just a fluid issue in the transfer case like very low or just used up fluid?

Any guess what it would typically cost to have a transfer case installed? I fear getting a used one but cant afford a new one.

Not going to be a fluid problem. Cost is based on area of the country you are in. In my area north central WV used case and install will run $800-1000. Good luck.

Not going to be a fluid problem. Cost is based on area of the country you are in. In my area north central WV used case and install will run $800-1000. Good luck.

so I had another mechanic in the area look it over and also mentioned what you had said about the transfer case. He is a agreeing with the other mechanic and stating that he doesn't believe it's the transfer case but the transmission. I'm seriously debating buying a junkyard transfer case and throwing it in quick just to see if it does fix the issue, is there any other way to verify it more?

Just drain transfer case and inspect fluid.

I agree with Brad its a transfer case problem.

OK so I finally got under the truck to find that the drain plug was very loose and the subframe had alot of fluid on it. O drained what was in it, maybe 1/4 of a quart if that. is it possible it was just extremely low fluid? No metal shavings in l what fluid was in there. Color was a light and dark brown with maybe a slight burnt smell.

OK so I finally got under the truck to find that the drain plug was very loose and the subframe had alot of fluid on it. O drained what was in it, maybe 1/4 of a quart if that. is it possible it was just extremely low fluid? No metal shavings in l what fluid was in there. Color was a light and dark brown with maybe a slight burnt smell.

Put the drain plug back in top it off with new fluid and try it. It will work or it won't. Worth a try.

Tried but no luck. Shifting it in all the gears in my driveway while also moving it from 2wd to 4wd it popped out again until I put it in 4wheel low. Found a used TC for $125 with only 98k miles on it. Gonna swap out and see if it fixes or not. Trucks been great to me so it's worth 200 as a try. Will I need any additional seals besides the transmission output shaft seal?

IMG_3177.JPG
You will need the gasket between extension housing and transfer case.

Back