Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help me cope with my failed opportunity of a lifetime!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Limited Ex, March 31, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Limited Ex

Limited Ex Elite Lurker

City, State:
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 Limited
    I guess this is my Opportunity of a Lifetime failure story. Its really bummed me out today that I could be so careless, so I think the more I talk about it, the better I feel:D

I collect action figures. Been a hobby of mine for a long time, but its only been reserved for movie figures, Spawn, most McFarlane stuff and whatnot. Never got into the sports stuff because I am not a sports person. One of the many sports lines that McFarlane has released is the Cooperstown baseball figures, and this past February, he made the announcement that there were going to be 5 super chase Babe Ruth figures produced, two of which were placed in the McFarlane Toys archives. The other three were released across the U.S.. I didn't read the full story, but knew it had to with a different hat on the chase figure.

So this afternoon I decided to swing by Wal Mart to pick up some screen protectors for my gps unit. After grabbing what I needed and heading back to the front of the store, I decided to swing by the toy aisle. I never check their toy section anymore because they have limited their McFarlane lines to only the sports figures, and don't carry anything else that interests me. But I remembered that Babe Ruth figure and decided just to see anyhow. I walk up and search the pegs, find one Ruth, and check it out. Its got a dark blue hat. Up until that point, I really didn't know what the chase figure looked like, because I didn't really read about it. I just knew it had something to do with the hat. So I decided to check the internet on my Sprint phone. No signal. So I put the figure back and walked back to my truck to get some bars.

Finally getting online, I see that the chase has a dark blue hat, and the regular a white/blue striped one. "..oh man.." is what went through my head. I head back into the store, approach the shelf, and a guy and his two kids are standing there. I hang around, they leave, and I go to the figures. Grab the Babe Ruth, but this one is the regular version. The other one was gone. I was away about 15 minutes. I am stunned.

The first of the three Ruths to surface was auctioned on ebay. It ended at $13,600.

I CAN'T believe I just put it back, I could have at least walked around with it in the store waiting for a signal. OR I could have just looked on the back of the friggin card to see what hat he was supposed to come with:rolleyes: After all these years of collecting, I manage to forget they always put pictures on the back of the cards. Bah....

So anyone else ever miss a once in a lifetime chance?:D

Oh and I hate Sprint. I have for a long time, this just adds fuel to the fire:cool:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    2 possible outcomes:

Option #1: You would have bought the figure, sold it on eBay, made insane money, and the IRS would have showed up and said that you didn't pay your taxes correctly. Then after a short, somewhat humiliating trial, you end up in tax prison running errands for a guy named Bubbles, and he calls you Baby Ruth. The rest of the details are sketchy, but NOT good.

Option #2: The kids in front of you are actually the new owners of the figure. The figure is sold on eBay in about 8 years, and puts said kid through college. He graduates with an advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, and shortly afterwards joins Ford Motor Company, who is now looking for a replacement vehicle for their lukewarm succesful vehicle based loosely on the "Explorer America" platform. Said kid pushes into Ford Design, and heads the new venture, which in the design halls is coded "TBARS" and introduces the first ladder framed, rear drive, long travel suspension outfitted SUV in years. The adjustable air suspension system allows soccer Moms to enter and exit the vehicle at minivan level, and upon starting raises to an impressive SUV height. The new Explorer sells over 250,000 vehicles in it's first year catapulting Ford to the head of market share past Toyota.

The Eddie Bauer trim level, now played out, is replaced on this vehicle by a "Ruth Edition" as an hommage to the figure that put said designer through college. It features a dark blue paint scheme, with blue/white striped accents on the leather seat inserts.

After someone sees similarities and notifies Ford media of this thread, Ford, on behalf of the crack designer presents Limited Ex with a brand new Explorer Ruth Edition valued well in excess of $45,000 in thanks for allowing his father to purchase the figure years ago.

Moral: Blessings come in disguise.
    Footnote: Yes, I have too much time on my hands tonight. :D

4. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Utah
    96 sport
    you screwed up. sorry dude lol

5. Limited Ex

Limited Ex Elite Lurker

City, State:
    94 Limited
    Haha wow! Its like, crawling up out of a manhole and as you look up and see the sky, someone drops the lid back down on you:p:

6. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Utah
    96 sport
    opportunity comes and goes. seize it if you can, but there will always be more

7. LBarr2002

LBarr2002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leesville, SC
    '91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
    How could 1 of 3 Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious rare figures end up in a Walmart?

And why does the word 'sooper' change to that?

8. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Springfield(ish), MO
    '00 XLS
    *goes to walmart to look for a special babe ruth figure*

They only put out THREE of them? Wow man..

9. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    Because they get randomly mixed in with the regular ones so that they could end up anywhere for some luck person to find.

10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    or find, then put back, then regret. :D

(sorry, had to!)

11. Limited Ex

Limited Ex Elite Lurker

City, State:
    94 Limited

That does happen, believe it or not:p:

They can show up anywhere McFarlane figures are sold. The first one ended up in a comic shop in Colorado Springs, CO. Since this one arrived at Wal Mart here in NC, I would assume that the last one might show up over on the west coast.

Yup, 3. I had the rarest McFarlane figure in my hand, and put it down. For the record, ignorance is not always bliss!