Help Me Fix Moms Car (rear light and bumper) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Me Fix Moms Car (rear light and bumper)

Catalyst716

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 128i
Hello All,
I'm taking it upon myself to try to help my mother fix her 2012 Explorer. My father accidentally backed into the garage and cracked the right rear tail light cover and also scratched/dented/put a gouge in the painted piece of the rear bumper (piece that is under the tail lights, rear gate, and above the grey plastic bumper).

What I'd like to do is replace these all on my own and I had a few questions that I was hoping this forum could help me with:
1). Can I replace the rear tail light with a new cover or would I have to end up purchasing a whole new tail light assembly? If I can just purchase a cover does anyone have a part number for that item or would I have to settle with the $400 assembly kit that I keep on finding?
2). What is the actual term for the rear bumper piece that I'm hoping I described well enough for someone to know what I'm talking about and if you do know what I'm talking about do you also have a part number. I do realize I'll have to probably get this piece painted but I'm confident enough to do the labor myself.

I've replaced headlights on some of my european cars on my own before (2004 passat & 2009 bmw 128i) where I've had to pull off the whole front end off to do it, sooo I figured this project could't be too hard

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could lead me in the right direction so I can help my mom fix her car back up and I know she'd be very grateful as well.

Thank you very much for both you're time and help everyone!
-Joe-

Back