1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help me with my first selling on ebay.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Redrig, December 11, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Redrig

Redrig Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gettysburg,PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Mountaineer
      I have just a few questions.

What happens if my item doesnt go higher than the starting bid I select?

Its a baseball, How do I determine shipping costs?

Its a 1997 Orioles opening day ball, probably not worth much but how much do you think a good starting bid is.

This is my first sale so any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      I always start my opening bids at $1 no matter what I'm selling. It gets more people interested in the bidding early and usually results in more people "fighting it out" for your item. Supply and demand will dictate your final price. Don't use a reserve price. It attracts fewer bidders. Too many sellers set their reserve too high and then they don't end up with a winning bidder.

If item doesn't go higher than "opening bid" (assuming there is a bidder on your item), then it goes to that bidder. If no bidders, then you'll need to re-list.

re: shipping, pack it up in the box you'll ship it in and hit a post office. Get it priced out for the fathest point away in the US (assuming you're one of those "US Only" sellers) and use that as your shipping cost. Otherwise, list that you'll ship for "actual costs" and costs to be determined after auction. Those auctions suck, IMHO. I always want to know what shipping will cost BEFORE I bid.

No idea what your baseball is worth. Let the market decide.

4. kfkodiak

kfkodiak B

That's all I've got for you, one of the more active ebayers around here should have more suggestions. Good luck. :p

Edit: Beat me again. I really need to learn to type faster. :D

5. Redrig

Redrig Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gettysburg,PA
      1997 Mountaineer
    6. flipped 98x

flipped 98x Member

City, State:
      woodhaven mich
      no longer have x
      Hi, I am quite active selling on Ebay,I have just had my 1yr anniversary of selling , I just turned 200+ positve feedback.
      I would first do some searches on Ebay to find some items like yours to see what they are selling for.
      If you just want to sell your item and don't care how much you get for it than just start it out at $1.00
      Or if there is a specific price you have in mind that you won't take less than, start it out at that. Most of the things I sell are Buy it now type auctions.
      As for shipping I package up the item and weigh it.
      Since your item is small and light I would use a kitchen scale if you have one.
      Then you can go to the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE web site, At the top off the page there is a spot that says calculate postage, Click on there and just follow the directions, Also I would type in the farthest state away from where you live.
      I live in Michigan so I use a California Zipcode.
      You should be able to send the baseball for $3.85 priority mail?
      If it ways less than 1 pound, ( I have no Idea what a baseball weighs ) but I would think it would be less than 1 pound
      If you have any more questions feel free to ask,
      BUD

7. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      I also start everything at $1.00. It used to be a penny until something sold for that much :D The lower the price the more bidders it'll attract. Many people wait til the last minute to bid and add the item to their watch list. You can see how many people are watching your auction in My eBay.

For shipping I just ballpark it. I look at previous auctions of the same item and get my price from there. I try to keep it a dollar above actual costs for handling and all that.

Make PayPal your preferred payment method. Over the past year ALL of my buyers have used PayPal, and eBay has a search for auctions with PayPal as the preferred method.

List your location, don't just write "low prices" or something like that. Give an accurate description and make sure to list any problems, though with your baseball it's probably not necessary. Take good pics and upload them through eBay. I used to use my own host but it went down for a couple days at one point. Really ruined my auction.

Keep good contact. Any questions should be responded to quickly. A few occassions I've had people ask me specific questions about the item that I overlooked when listnig and had to add to the description.

List with a good layout. Make the text easily readable. Try not to use a background in case people have the background loading option turned off.

That's all I can think of right now.