help my cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help my cruise control

cityworker

Reaction score
City, State
petaluma CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
hello my name is cityworker and my 2000 5.0 AWD explorer's cruise control suddenly stopped working, any help will help. Please:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe a 2000 is included in the cruise switch recall. I'll look. Has it been done? Have a big blue tag on a wiring harness to the switch on the master cylinder?

Edit: The 2000 model year Explorer IS listed in the recall list for the SAFETY RECALL 05S28 cruise control FIRE recall. If you have not had the recall done, unplug the wiring from the switch on the brake master cylinder IMMEDIATELY and leave it disconnected until you have the recall performed. If the recall has not been done and it is now malfunctioning then you are at GREAT risk of you truck and anything near it catching fire and burning to the ground!

This is what the recall harness looks like, either exactly or similarly.

CruiseRecall.jpg

ncranchero thanks for getting back so quick

thanx ncranchero the recall has been done . but i don't know where to start checking or troubleshooting. is there a vacuum source or maybe a sensor?:(

You may want to check and make sure that the linkage is actually hooked up. My truck had been worked on once and the linkage was not replace securely and my cruise control stopped working on the way home. If you look under the the plastic engine cover you should see two cables going to the throttle body. One is controlled by your accelerator, the other is your cruise cable. Make sure it is actually hooked up.

yes both cables are hooked up I also checked and cleaned the sensor connection at the master cylinder, and the brake pedal switch seems OK. I'm getting bummed it might cost a lot of money... I'm gonna go fishing :cool:

When this happened on mine ,it turned out that the cruise shutoff switch on the brake pedal had gone bad.

Back