HELP my Explorer won't start! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP my Explorer won't start!

00V8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 EB AWD V8
Well of course on an extremely hot day I end up getting stranded. I went out to start my explorer and it tried to turn over but stopped dead after about a half turn. I thought the battery went dead so I swapped it out. still nothing. at first it would click when I tried to start it, then now thats even stopped. now the only thing you hear is the relay. I thought maybe a bad ground so I ran a direct ground from the battery to the intake, still no change. I am getting ready to try to pull the starter off and try to test the power down there next.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Oh btw its a 2000 V8 if the user name didnt give it away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey 00V8. I have the exact same ex as you. Have you you by chance had someone stand in front of the truck with the head lights on and then try to crank it over and see if the headlights go out or dim??

I would say that it could be electrical. Was there any signs that the starter was going out before?

absolutley no signs the starter was going out but when I was testing things I found the starter had power, the power going from the ign source to the starter was working and so I tested the starter with jumper cables and got nothing so I guess the starter just quit completely. I've never seen it happen like this but I guess there is a first for everything. New starter in and it works great now.

I had it happen on a 95 gmc sierra. I pilled the starter off and it was busted all to pieces inside. The bad thing was I just replaced it with a new ac delco starter alitle over a year before that and the warranty had just went out on it. But yeah same symptoms. Turned over about a second or so fine then it just quit.

Glad it didn't turn out to be something more serious for ya!!

Back