Help! Need Exploded View Pic of 4.0 SOHC !! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Need Exploded View Pic of 4.0 SOHC !!

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Can someone please post a pic or diagram of an Exploded View of the 4.0 SOHC engine ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Katmandu said:
Can someone please post a pic or diagram of an Exploded View of the 4.0 SOHC engine ??

How is this?

Attachments

• 42156513.gif
    42156513.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 21,126

aldive said:
How is this?
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D

Do you have the sheet showing what the Part #s relate to which #'d Part ??

What # is the Primary Chain Tensioner ??

I'm preparing to do battle with my local Ford Service Manager tomorrow. We're taking our Explorer in for the dreaded "marble-like" sound. He said they NEED to do the 01M12 to properly diagnose the noise.

They will cover the 01M12, but I have a BAD feeling he's gonna try and stick it to us for the Primary Chain Tensioner (preliminarily diagnosed this week at this Service Dept.).

I'm try hard to find out if this Primary Chain Tensioner is covered under 01M01 Recall.

I'm sorta confused (after reading hours worths of threads) about how many Tensioners, Chains and "Cassettes" there are in this dang engine!!

Any guidance to help clarify this jumbo would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

aldive said:
Originally Posted by Katmandu said:
What # is the Primary Chain Tensioner ??
# 21
Is this Part (#21) covered under the 01M01 RECALL ??

I know I had a chain tensioner replaced under warranty...but they never said anything about the 'recall' when I took it in...Hmm...that is a GOOD question. Please let us know your findings!!

jordan23 said:
I know I had a chain tensioner replaced under warranty...but they never said anything about the 'recall' when I took it in...Hmm...that is a GOOD question. Please let us know your findings!!
"WHICH" tensioner ?? There are actually a few different chain tensioners in the SOHC. This information isn't widely disseminated in the all the MANY postings I've read so far.

There is the CAM chain tensioner (that is covered under 00M12) and then there is the PRIMARY chain tensioner (#21 in the pic above). It is NOT covered by ANY recalls OR warranties (other than 3/36).

Below is another Exploded pic I've come across...... Maybe a Moderator will come along and "STICKY" these pics in the Useful Tech Threads or FAQs!!

The CAM chain tensioner is a "bolt-like" looking device that is located in the 12 O'clock position from part# 6.

photo2.jpg

Katmandu said:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D

Do you have the sheet showing what the Part #s relate to which #'d Part ??
photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

It's covered on 01M01... but that campaign expires 7 years after the original warranty start date... so either you're over, or very close to being over...

There is a recall for the cassets and/or jack shaft on the 4.0L sohc engines. But it is also a milage/time limmited on too. It is $$$$$ if it is out of warentee.I had a customer refuse the work.
Now is this the noise at arround 2400-2600 rpm while driving?????? or just on startup after it sits????

It's not really that expensive... in Canadian dollars it's under 1000 bucks... cash jobs I do them for 500 parts and labor...

Back