Help Needed- '99 Bauer Radio LED & Steering Volume Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Needed- '99 Bauer Radio LED & Steering Volume Issues

Dreamview

Reaction score
City, State
Ellington, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT / '99 Eddie Bauer
Greetings All
I am brand new to the forum and found it because I NEED HELP!

we've been through a couple of Explorers and loved them- the most recent '98 FULLY LOADED XLT was totaled by our insurance after another driver thought that red was a better color for Santa Suits or pasta sauce then Stopping!

We are now looking at a privately owned for sale '99 Eddie Bauer.
Checked it out this weekend and really like it-
BUT
The LED on the Radio / CD player only is visible when the vehicle is in PARK
and flashes on when passing through N to get to D or R

The other, not a big deal, is that the Volume Control on the steering wheel isn't working either

Are these quick fix issues?
Or big money investments?
Can we do it ourselves with good instructions?
Or who do we take it to?

This is important in our decision to buy - or not- the Explorer.

Could you please also send response emails to our address:
DreamView@aol.com
until we figure out how to use the forum?

Thanks!

It's possible you have a clock spring problem with the steering wheel controls. And it's possible that the current owner had an aftermarket radio in there and they put the factory one back in to sell it...and screwed something up. That would also explain the strange way the display lights up. (I wonder if it's actually trying to turn the radio on in P and N.) Quite honestly, none of this would be a deal breaker for me...but I can repair these things. If you have to pay someone, it could run into a bit of money. But remember...you are buying a 10 year old vehicle and it's difficult to find one that old in perfect condition.

Back