Help needed in replacing 2002 Rear shocks | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed in replacing 2002 Rear shocks

natedoggaz was just wondering how the new struts are working out? Both my rear springs are broken and I will be replacing them soon.

Thanks, Rondo :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ordered the struttek also both rears and the fronts are out of stock and I emailed them. Saved me a bunch $$$$$ thanks

I just replaced both my rear springs and struts, due to passenger side spring breaking earlier this week. Ordered a pair of Monroe Quick Struts (#171322) for $372 from O'Reilly. There's a $60 mail-in rebate thru May, so it'll be $312 after rebate.

I installed them last night. It was a piece of cake, although pneumatic tools and a 13MM ratcheting wrench (i.e. "gear wrench") made it much easier. They installed as mentioned above, by first removing the sway bar end link, the knuckle-to-lower control arm (LCA) bolt, the strut-to-LCA bolt, and then the three 13MM at the top.

I used an 8 foot 2x4, wedged between the frame and front portion of the LCA, to drive the LCA down. I had a friend provide the leverage with the 2x4, and I pulled out the strut/spring assembly. When done this way, there's tons of room to pull the assembly out. Installation was the reverse.

Greg

Anyone having any problems with the Monroe Quick Struts?

Is anyone having any problems with the Monroe QuickStruts? I just found out the other day that the coil spring on the rear right side of my 03 Explorer is broken. I found out while getting my new tires rebalanced at Sams Club since the wheel weights fell off. The guy there quoted me $400 approximately he thought it would cost to get it repaired, but I would need both.

I found this forum the other night, and have found the quick struts at O'Reilly's (which we have one in the area) for $172.99 a piece. I then found out about Rock Auto through this forum, and found them for $140.79 plus found a coupon code online that would knock the shipping out essentially. Then I kept reading and found out that I could order them from Amazon for $119.15 and the shipping on two of them would be less than Rock Auto with the coupon code.

I'm not sure who to order them from. If I went with O'Reilly at least I have a brick-and-mortar store to go back to if I should have problems. It doesn't seem like anyone has had any problems with the Monroe Quick Struts.

--
Joe

Joecue, a couple members have used these: Prime Choice Auto Quick Struts

In fact if you start reading this thread @ Post #27 you will see some pics of them posted by natedoggaz, who is one of the guys that have installed them.

---Rondo

I saw those as well. But I'm not sure if I want to try them or not since I've never heard of them. I've heard of Monroe before as being a reputable shock company. It doesn't seem that anyone had any problems with the Monroe's back in May.

Just want to make sure before I order them from somewhere online, I want to save $$ but minimize the problems I might have as well.

Yeah, I see your point. Let us know what you end up doing and how you make out. I need to replace both rears as both springs are broken. I'm probably going with the Prime Choice units.

Just ordered the Monroe's from Amazon

I just placed my order for the Monroe Quick Strut's for the rear of my '03 Explorer. $255.75 for two quick struts and shipping. Of course they say it will ship between the 21st and 22nd, but they won't be delivered until next week.

Hopefully it will be sooner. Though if they do come this week, it's supposed to rain every day and I don't have a garage to put the truck in to work on it. :(

Will let you know what they're like, and how hard they'll be to replace.

Thanks for all the great info so far, glad I found the forum otherwise I'd be looking at going to a shop or worse the dealer to get these replaced.

i should be getting my primechoice quick struts tomorrow. I will let you all know how they are to install, rear end height before and after and how they ride. Wish me luck as i do not know what i'm doing.:usa:

I just placed my order for the Monroe Quick Strut's for the rear of my '03 Explorer. $255.75 for two quick struts and shipping. Of course they say it will ship between the 21st and 22nd, but they won't be delivered until next week.

Hopefully it will be sooner. Though if they do come this week, it's supposed to rain every day and I don't have a garage to put the truck in to work on it. :(

Will let you know what they're like, and how hard they'll be to replace.

Thanks for all the great info so far, glad I found the forum otherwise I'd be looking at going to a shop or worse the dealer to get these replaced.

Keep us posted and good luck! ;)

i should be getting my primechoice quick struts tomorrow. I will let you all know how they are to install, rear end height before and after and how they ride. Wish me luck as i do not know what i'm doing.:usa:

Keep us posted and don't worry all the help you need is right here on this forum! :thumbsup:

Monroe Quick Struts should be arriving tomorrow!

I hadn't had any updates to my Amazon account or emails since I placed my order so I sent a message to the seller "AutoParts 123". I just received an email back saying that my struts should be arriving tomorrow.

If the weather holds Friday (30% chance of storms), I'm gonna take a sick day and put them in during the morning, before it get's too hot out.

Now just to find a ratcheting 13mm wrench, before Friday, as well as replenish my can of PB Blaster. :cool:

Thanks again to all on this forum for sharing where to get these parts cheap as well as their own stories of changing these parts out to inspire confidence in those of us who don't do this all of the time.

I found out today, after charging my card already, that strutmasters.com has them on back order until next month sometime. I can't win....

lol if you would have read this post befor ordering you would know that its nearly impossible to find monroe struts right now :thumbdwn:

I hadn't had any updates to my Amazon account or emails since I placed my order so I sent a message to the seller "AutoParts 123". I just received an email back saying that my struts should be arriving tomorrow.

They did good by me on my order back in May. I was worried I would miss the rebate deadline but it ended up being a nonissue since it was invoiced on the order date rather than the ship date. Still waiting on my check though.

Considering they charged me $4.95 to ship 4 of these bad boys, I couldn't complaint too much, but I still tried. I pointed out that their seller profile stated "same-day shipping" they pointed out that they were in an outlaying warehouse (probably drop-shipping) and would be happy to cancel the order. I waited the extra couple of days, happily.

lol if you would have read this post befor ordering you would know that its nearly impossible to find monroe struts right now :thumbdwn:

Hmmm..I noted a shortage mentioned in this thread several months ago but I had no trouble finding Monroes when I ordered in May. Manufactures are sometimes able to increase supply by producing additional product for retailers.

What is the general consensus on the Strut tuk struts? Good, okay, not good? How are they working out??

Just bought Monroe's

I just wanted to Chime in on these Monroe's. I just bought 2 and am going to go tackle it now and see how I make out. I am a little worried about not having a spring compressor to remove them? I watched a video that said you should use one to remove the old.

But BOTH are broken in the rear, so maybe it won't matter.

Also, FYI, there is a rebate if you buy 4 between you get the purchase price of one back from Monroe through October 31st, so I may get the fronts too since it will be half price.

I bought at Advance Auto Parts, they have a coupon code "DIVE" for purchases over $100 you save $20. So I purchased them individually for store pickup. It was more expensive than online, but I had time this weekend to do it.

My total for the two was $348. I know it's about $100 more than others were paying, but I just needed it done.

Will post a followup later on.

Don't have to compress the spring, everything just unbolts and bolt the new ones in. Was very easy to put my rear ones in, I have to do the front when I get the time.

Well that was a lot of work, I spent almost 5-6 hours just doing the driver side. Part of the problem was the old strut spring was broke in 2-3 places, several screws were totally rusted and had to use a torch just to losen them (very scary next to a gas tank!).

I took off the rear stablizer bar from behind the rotor area, the rotor and caliper to get it out of the way, and took off that other torsion bar that curves and has a very long bolt. It still didn't give me enough clearance to get that thing out, even using a 2x4 with a friend and a crow bar.

I kept using a jack and moving things around and I finally got it out, the next part was really hard, putting the new one back in, it was very difficult to get it in, was any one else's struts already compressed with a string? Mine were not and I really had to work hard to get it in. I hope the other side isn't as hard.

Regardless, it was worth it, I am saving 250-300 in labor and I can already tell a huge difference in the ride. I also replaced the rotors, brakes and the emergency brakes.

168557411-238919aeb67787a110712451967bd435.4c9fd778-full.jpg

Hey fellas, I am new to the explorer club as well as this forum, I noticed a rattling and or an occasional clunk from the right rear when I hit rough streets... I think it may be the strut. Anyone else experience this?

ANY updates for us on them struttek struts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

x2^^^^^^^^^^^

Back