Help needed in replacing 2002 Rear shocks | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed in replacing 2002 Rear shocks

I need to replace the front struts in my 02 Explorer, and was thinking of getting the Monroe's because they are all inclusive and "easy" to replace.

However, I just replaced the rear bearings and springs in the rear last year... and now have a bearing going bad. I figured it would because the pressing of it got fouled up. So, I have to replace just the bearing. I might as well replace the rear struts while I'm back there... but I already have BRAND NEW MOOG SPRINGS over the old ones. And let me tell you, without a lift, i'd just as soon pay someone to do the job then to do it again. Compressing the springs was a nightmare that I don't want to go thru again!!

So my question is, if I replace the struts in the rear, do I have to recompress the springs again? If so, then forget it! I'll either buy a complete system with spring and all, or pay someone to do just the struts. The fronts aren't so bad I don't think.

I'm going to pay closer attn to this thread, because in glancing thru it, it seems the Monroe's aren't a good choice due to spring breakage?

Monroe is running a buy 3 get one free special thru May 31st 2011, so I could get two of the Quick Struts for the front, one rear strut only, and a free rear strut saving me $70. Or I could pay the savings and buy 4 Quick Struts and just eat or sell the one year old coil springs I have in the rear, just for convenience.

Thanks!
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several of us on the forum are running the StrutTEK's from Prime Choice Auto Parts with favorable results.

Struttek1Custom.jpg

Struttek2Custom.jpg

Here are some threads:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309630

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296221

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296562

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293355

My advice, cheap parts are cheap parts!

More advice, the easiest way to change the rear struts is to remove the lower control arm. Same for the front. I have done so many of these I figured out that rather fight with trying to get them in its easier to just remove the lower arm. You can leave the knuckle bolt in place but its still somewhat a fight.

I put Monroe quick strut on the rear of mine after my stock ones broke, best thing I ever did. I have the front and need to do them next because they are original and are making noise. I love them and are easy, great ride. I have a 2002 ranger I had to raise back up and replaced all suspension parts, wow that was a ***** with compressing the springs ect. Took my buddie and I an hour for the rear.

My advice, cheap parts are cheap parts!

More advice, the easiest way to change the rear struts is to remove the lower control arm. Same for the front. I have done so many of these I figured out that rather fight with trying to get them in its easier to just remove the lower arm. You can leave the knuckle bolt in place but its still somewhat a fight.

No need to remove the control arm. Just loosen the rear bolt and it gives plenty of flex to pull the strut out.

No need to remove the control arm. Just loosen the rear bolt and it gives plenty of flex to pull the strut out.

I have done it both ways. It is much easier to remove the lower arm.

I have done it both ways. It is much easier to remove the lower arm.

We can agree to disagree. I easily popped the strut assembly out on Saturday by simply loosening the rear bolt on the control arm. :thumbsup:

How are you guys liking the Struttek struts?

what warranty do they have?
Thanks

Mine are still performing perfectly.

Here is the warranty info from the website:

Prime Choice Auto Parts Warranty
Prime Choice Auto Parts hereby warrants to the purchaser that all Auto Parts we sell are serviceable and functional. If an Auto Part is found to be defective within six months* from date of purchase Prime Choice Auto Parts shall, at its discretion, provide either a replacement Auto Part or a refund. Auto Parts which are returned for a reason other than warranty are subject to a 15% restocking charge. All returned auto parts must be accompanied by a sales receipt. No reimbursements will be given for delay, labor, mileage, or any other costs involved in installation or re-installation of the Auto Parts in question. Warranty and UPS related claims may require authentication – do not dispose of parts until instructed. Please note Struts and Complete Struts must be purchased in pairs (front or rear) or warranty is NULL & VOID.
Contact us at 1-866-990-3871 or email customerservice@primechoiceautoparts.com to verify the status of any warranty on your auto parts. Once we’ve determined that the auto part has warranty coverage you may arrange a return and we will make sure the correct steps are taken to get you an appropriate replacement in a reasonable amount of time.
* Electrical components - Alternators, Starters, Fuel Pumps, and Oxygen Sensors are covered by a 90 day warranty.

No complaints outta me... They are still working really well & I've maintained a nice restoration in rearend height. My originals had multiple breaks in both the left & right side... So far so good!

Thanks actually looking to put these on the front of an F150, the price is right but am concerned about the lesser warrnty.

Monroes are more but lifetime warranty, right?

Thank

That's an individual decision based on age of vehicle, miles, condition, other trouble spots with the ride. Overall condition, what more do want vs how much can you truly get from her...

My thoughts, trouble spots in cars is what thet trouble spots. Your front quick fronts are broken or worn? How many miles on your ride... Let me know and one of the Big guys will set us straight for our own good... Hey $$$$$ is sometimes an issue and more so lately...

Truck has 101K on it and I intend to keep it for a long time.

My Tips

Just replaced my shattered OEM's with Quikstruts - Here are couple of tips: I used the 13mm ratchet wrench from this pack - http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-metric-offset-ratchet-wrench-set-94495.htm - its the perfect profile. l also had to hit the nylok nuts with heat (MAPP) to loosen them up (rust would embed). Last tip, reassemble but only snug fasteners. Then properly torque to spec.

K

Another 2 months have passed and my PrimeChiice struts are doing just fine.

Wow - this thread is still going on from over a year ago when I first posted - COOL!

Well - now the front shocks have gone out - and I have once again ordered from Prime Choice Auto Parts!!

Quick Struts were delivered this week - and I plan to install today.

I was looking at a diagram from Autozone in their repair section and it mentions that the bottom bolt needs to be torqued to 258 ft-lbs... Has anyone had an issue removing the bottom bolt or getting it that tight?!

3/10/2010 - purchase - CST100122 Complete Strut Assembly - New - Ready to Install 2 $89.00 $178.00
9/17/2011 - purchase - CST100123 Quick Install Complete Strut Assembly 2 $67.83 $135.66 ($6 discount came to $129.66)

Over $51.00 cheaper than over a year ago and still the best deal I could find!!

-Nathan

Wow - this thread is still going on from over a year ago when I first posted - COOL!

Over $51.00 cheaper than over a year ago and still the best deal I could find!!

-Nathan

That is a great deal. As far as the bolt, I used an impact (electric) and had no trouble. If you're doing by hand you'll need some leverage. BTW - bought two rear rotors a few months ago from P Choice also, best price I could find on those also.
Regards-

I just replaced my rear struts on 03 Mounty. I got them from NAPA with the Monroe part number 171322,made in the USA. $180 each with $50 rebate. I removed the stabilzer bar and compressed the springs to make it easier to get out. The right rear coil spring was broken, to be expected. Yes, the car is higher but maybe will go down in time. Much better ride now. I just cut the top bolts half way thru then wrenched them where they snapped off. Now onto the rear brakes that keep dragging.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my rear struts on 03 Mounty. I got them from NAPA with the Monroe part number 171322,made in the USA. $180 each with $50 rebate. I removed the stabilzer bar and compressed the springs to make it easier to get out. The right rear coil spring was broken, to be expected. Yes, the car is higher but maybe will go down in time. Much better ride now. I just cut the top bolts half way thru then wrenched them where they snapped off. Now onto the rear brakes that keep dragging.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

The dragging on the rear brakes is most likely the parking brake shoes. Let us know how you make out! :D:thumbsup:

Back