HELP New Sylvania headlight bulbs don't fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP New Sylvania headlight bulbs don't fit

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
One of my low beams burned out and I bought a direct replacement - Sylvania 9004 basic bulb. But, the design has changed and the bulb won't seat in far enough for the locking collar to turn and lock. I looked at the other Sylvania bulbs (fancier ones) and they are all the same. You can really tell the difference between my old burned out bulb (mfg 2002) and the new bulb (mfg 2009).

Any suggestions for other manufacturers or a work around? At this point I can't drive at night since I only have one headlight that works!

Thanks!

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this has happened to me when i upgraded to hids. I beleive its the same design but a hair bigger. With mine I just kept wiggling and trying on different angles. Finally got it two of my bulbs the bulb is only turned slightly as to it was very tight but its snug in there and wont come loose.

The black ring is around 3/16 bigger on the new ones

That way is doesn't seat in far enough for the collar to turn and lock. I spent over 40 very frustrating minutes wiggling, pushing, etc.

How did you get the locking collar to fit?

this has happened to me when i upgraded to hids. I believe its the same design but a hair bigger. With mine I just kept wiggling and trying on different angles. Finally got it two of my bulbs the bulb is only turned slightly as to it was very tight but its snug in there and wont come loose.

if urs is similar to mine there should be 3 nothces in the black plastic when i did it i put even pressure around the whole bulb as I was pushing and twisting. If theres still no chance of getting in maybe a dremmel might work but would be risky.

Are you sure the bulbs are 9004s? My guess is they might be 9007's in a 9004 package.

If they are indeed 9004's and definitely don't fit, I'd say take them back and get another set rather than hassle with it.

I'd suggest the Sylvania XtraVision, they are available at walmart in pairs and all the 9004's I've had from there fit fine. They put out more light than the regular bulbs, which is a great thing for the stock headlights on the Explorer.

Bigger hammer... I would double check the part number on the bulb itself. I have had some difficult to install but never impossible.

Thanks for the help, guys. I got the brighter ones, although they still had the shorter "collars," because of your comments I felt more comfortable being more 'enthusiastic' pushing and turning them in to fit. Finally got them to fit and I can drive at night again.

Again, thanks!

Yes another X back on the road :)

Bigger hammer, works every time:D

My problems started when I had to change a headlight bulb.BTW, had the same problem with the fitting and wiggling until fit.But on to more serious things.I must have had a short in the wiring or a loose bulb in the other headlight because after changing the first bulb, the other one went dead.Thinking it was just time to change it too,I tried to open the hood to gain access and it wouldn't open! With your helpful hints, I discovered the manuel opener and got it open only to discover my headlight casing and bulb socket completely melted.I managed to get the headlight out and can replace that,but the bulb socket is shot.How can I replace it without having to replace the wiring harness? The reason the hood wouldn't open? The cable to the opener from inside melted too and kinked it.

Back