HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer

If you do not have the reset tool you can also let air out of the tire being trained until the car honks and then move to the next tire as instructed on the readout, starts clockwise front driver to front passenger ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do not have the reset tool you can also let air out of the tire being trained until the car honks and then move to the next tire as instructed on the readout, starts clockwise front driver to front passenger ...

Have you tried this on a 2016/2017 Ex yet?

yes I did it on my 2017 using the hazard light 3x full off and on method to get the car into training mode and then letting out air, brake and ignition key is for older models without push button start, my XLT came with stock 18"s and I bought a set of OEM polished aluminum 20"s from someone that was going to a larger aftermarket rim and tire. I took off the 18"s immediately and will either sell them or hang onto them and put them back on and sell the 20's after the lease is over.

yes I did it on my 2017 using the hazard light 3x full off and on method to get the car into training mode and then letting out air, brake and ignition key is for older models without push button start, my XLT came with stock 18"s and I bought a set of OEM polished aluminum 20"s from someone that was going to a larger aftermarket rim and tire. I took off the 18"s immediately and will either sell them or hang onto them and put them back on and sell the 20's after the lease is over.
Interesting... my 16 XLT has push button start, but i always use the ignition/brake procedure to enter training mode.

Here's some new info for someone that bought a 2017 Explorer. Last November, I bought dedicated winter tires and rims, and had them installed at the dealer, where they programmed them. Fast forward to this past weekend, and I switched the tires out myself. I did NOT have to reprogram the tires, and the car remembered both sets. I also believe no programming is required, because I did a rotation and tested each tire at a gas station air fill this morning. So I'm concluding these cars are smart enough to figure it out on their own. Btw, takes about 10-15 seconds for the tire pressure display to refresh as I played a few games of overfill/underfill. I don't know if they need initial training for the first time installation or not.

So now I have a TPMS19 device to return to the dealer. I asked them and they told me I needed it, so I bought one. But I'll hold onto it until the next service and update if anything weird happens.

I realize this might not apply to a 2016 model. And earlier there were discussions of whether training was required with the fancier 2016+ models with independent tire pressure display. But I don't know if older models before 2016 had them. And potentially tire sensing could theoretically be a software issue tied to a certain update version.

Here's some new info for someone that bought a 2017 Explorer. Last November, I bought dedicated winter tires and rims, and had them installed at the dealer, where they programmed them. Fast forward to this past weekend, and I switched the tires out myself. I did NOT have to reprogram the tires, and the car remembered both sets. I also believe no programming is required, because I did a rotation and tested each tire at a gas station air fill this morning. So I'm concluding these cars are smart enough to figure it out on their own. Btw, takes about 10-15 seconds for the tire pressure display to refresh as I played a few games of overfill/underfill. I don't know if they need initial training for the first time installation or not.

So now I have a TPMS19 device to return to the dealer. I asked them and they told me I needed it, so I bought one. But I'll hold onto it until the next service and update if anything weird happens.

I realize this might not apply to a 2016 model. And earlier there were discussions of whether training was required with the fancier 2016+ models with independent tire pressure display. But I don't know if older models before 2016 had them. And potentially tire sensing could theoretically be a software issue tied to a certain update version.
I believe someone already posted that the EX can store up to 5 tpms and yes, they automatically learn the correct sensor; when switching from back to front etc...

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you sure the sensors are the correct frequency? Both my previous Explorer and my current MKT have sensors that are 315 MHZ. You can check that by going to FordEtis home page and select 'Vehicle' and entering your VIN. That will bring up a long list of almost everything you vehicle has. Look for the item Frequency - xxxx
Also, there have been several posts here from members saying that the system will train itself after driving for a period of time. No tool was required.
Good luck.

Peter
hello Peter, I tried to access my vehicle (2018 Explorer sport) on etis and got no information on it...only that there were no "Outstanding Field Service Actions"..

hello Peter, I tried to access my vehicle (2018 Explorer sport) on etis and got no information on it...only that there were no "Outstanding Field Service Actions"..
Ford ETIS underwent a change a while back and it no longer provides the same detailed info as before. Not sure where you can get it from now.

Peter

Ford ETIS underwent a change a while back and it no longer provides the same detailed info as before. Not sure where you can get it from now.

Peter

You have to register in the ETIS site in order to get the details.

You have to register in the ETIS site in order to get the details.
Thank you. I thought I had read that but wasn't sure. It would be nice to have a site where you can get the info for free though.

Peter

Thank you. I thought I had read that but wasn't sure. It would be nice to have a site where you can get the info for free though.

Peter

Doesn't appear that the average Joe can register...

Registration
2.1 You warrant that you satisfy the following conditions:
  • (a) You are an independent automotive-related service or repair business;

• (b) You have given your authority to the individual registering you on the Website to enter into this Agreement on your behalf;

• (c) You will fully and accurately complete the online registration form and forward it to Ford.

• (d) You will pay the Pre-Payment charge (see below 2.4).
2.2 For registration to be successful, you have to select and enter a username and password and language preference. This username and password will enable you to log onto the Website.

2.3 It is your responsibility to keep your username / password secure and divulge it only to those employees or members of your business who have your authority to access the Website. You will be liable for all transactions and costs incurred on the Website under your password. Ford cannot be held liable for any losses you suffer or incur as a result of your failure to keep your username / password secure.

2.4 Pre-Payment
Following the registration process and prior to accessing Mechanical Repair, Body & Paint, Wiring Diagrams and IDS licence fee payment, an initial minimum Pre-Payment of 50 Euros is payable to Ford on the Website using a valid credit or debit card. This is the Initial charge for your FordEtis account. All other technical information on the FordEtis site is free of charge.

Doesn't appear that the average Joe can register...

Registration
2.1 You warrant that you satisfy the following conditions:
  • (a) You are an independent automotive-related service or repair business;

• (b) You have given your authority to the individual registering you on the Website to enter into this Agreement on your behalf;

• (c) You will fully and accurately complete the online registration form and forward it to Ford.

• (d) You will pay the Pre-Payment charge (see below 2.4).
2.2 For registration to be successful, you have to select and enter a username and password and language preference. This username and password will enable you to log onto the Website.

2.3 It is your responsibility to keep your username / password secure and divulge it only to those employees or members of your business who have your authority to access the Website. You will be liable for all transactions and costs incurred on the Website under your password. Ford cannot be held liable for any losses you suffer or incur as a result of your failure to keep your username / password secure.

2.4 Pre-Payment
Following the registration process and prior to accessing Mechanical Repair, Body & Paint, Wiring Diagrams and IDS licence fee payment, an initial minimum Pre-Payment of 50 Euros is payable to Ford on the Website using a valid credit or debit card. This is the Initial charge for your FordEtis account. All other technical information on the FordEtis site is free of charge.
Don't overthink things - just register as an IO and there is no payment required to access "free" content.

If you're "worried", just use a vpn and a burner e-mail account...

So I'm struggling with this same issue at the moment. I had a 2014 Explorer Sport with summer and winter tires. I bought the winters and had 3rd party TPMS sensors installed which were "cloned" to my summer tires. My lease ended, and I now have a 2018 Explorer Sport. Of course, my winter tire TPMS doesn't work anymore. I did a ton of research and confirmed that my 2018 has 315Mhz sensors, and without seeing them physically I'm pretty sure they are the TPMS35 sensors.

I found some on eBay, genuine OEM P/N F2GT-1A180-BB. I also purchased a 3rd party re-learning tool from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BNZ5SQ9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Does anyone know if it is possible to activate/learn the sensors if they are not installed? ie: will they work if they are not inside the tire/pressurized. I tried using the Amazon relearn tool with the eBay sensors outside of the tire and couldn't get the vehicle to pick it up.

And yes, I realize: it would be easier to go to the dealer and just pay them the $130 per tire to get them to install/program new sensors all around, but what fun is there in that? ;)

On a slightly different topic, I would like to mention that while my vehicle doesn't recognize my winter wheels, my TPMS light is never on unless I go for a longer (30+ minute continuous drive) trip. I presume that the tires in my garage (which are 20+ feet away from the car!!!!!) keep getting picked up. I know this seems crazy, but I have no other explanation. The pressure readings on the dash change by only 1psi (rarely), and the warning light only comes on if I'm away from home, driving the car consistently for 30+ minutes (highways speeds). The TPMS light goes away if I park at my house overnight.

So I'm struggling with this same issue at the moment. I had a 2014 Explorer Sport with summer and winter tires. I bought the winters and had 3rd party TPMS sensors installed which were "cloned" to my summer tires. My lease ended, and I now have a 2018 Explorer Sport. Of course, my winter tire TPMS doesn't work anymore. I did a ton of research and confirmed that my 2018 has 315Mhz sensors, and without seeing them physically I'm pretty sure they are the TPMS35 sensors.

I found some on eBay, genuine OEM P/N F2GT-1A180-BB. I also purchased a 3rd party re-learning tool from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BNZ5SQ9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Does anyone know if it is possible to activate/learn the sensors if they are not installed? ie: will they work if they are not inside the tire/pressurized. I tried using the Amazon relearn tool with the eBay sensors outside of the tire and couldn't get the vehicle to pick it up.

And yes, I realize: it would be easier to go to the dealer and just pay them the $130 per tire to get them to install/program new sensors all around, but what fun is there in that? ;)
The 2016+ Explorers use a different sensor. One that is designed to transmit the individual tire pressures. That part number you mentioned is not recognized on the AutoNation parts website. Here is the number they show, F2GZ-1A189-A
Also, there have been posts by members saying that the 'tool' is not required and that driving the vehicle will eventually result in self-programming. Can't confirm that as my dealer does the programming when I have the wheels swapped. I had the same issue with the sensors when I used the wheels that I had on my 2014 MKT on my 2017 Platinum. Bought a set of new sensors and had them installed.
It is not uncommon for the vehicle to pick up the sensors from tires stored nearby. I have the dealer store mine.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. You're right, F2GT-1A180-BB is not mentioned anywhere online, and as it turns out, one of the four sensors I received is labeled that way. The other are labelled F2GT-1A180-AB, which is mentioned, and seems to be cross-referenced in a number of places to the part number you mentioned.

Ford, Lincoln Schrader TPMS Sensor F2GZ-1A189-A, F2GT-1A150-AB, F2GT-1A180-AB, FR3V-1A150-BA, FR3V-1A180-BA, HC3T-1A150-BA, HC3T-1A180-BA, 20280, TPMS-35, TPMS-39, TPMS-42 F2GZ1A189A, F2GT1A150AB, F2GT1A180AB, FR3V1A150BA, FR3V1A180BA, HC3T1A150BA, HC3T1A

Still, I can't get the vehicle to pick up this sensor using the TPMS tool that I bought, but I'm wondering if they need to sense a pressure inside a tire, since I've just been trying with the sensor outside the tires. I didn't want to get them installed if they weren't going to work.

Here are the photos of the sensors I received......

4.jpg

3.jpg

Just as an update. I had these sensors that I purchased on eBay (4 for $19 CAD each) installed by my Ford Dealership. They all work fine, so P/N F2GT-1A180-AB, and F2GT-1A180-BB are equivalent. I believe Ford refers to these as TPMS35.

I also have a 3rd party TPMS relearn tool that I did confirm works with the summer tires, so I'll see in the spring if I can reprogram everything!

Thanks again for the help and advice! I feel good saving $300 at the dealership :)

Idk if anyone pointed this out but if you bought some version of a “universal 433 TPMS” they would be blank meaning you would have to flash them with an Ford Explorer ID first such as “1D67” before you make the explorer learn their position such as right front.

The aftermarket 433 tpms sensors will says explorer specific or pre-programmed such as “redi-sensors”. Some of the universal ones have to be placed into a dock to program them. Some of them you can flash with a tool like the Aurelia TS410

Then you would put the explorer in learn mode.... think it’s key on, then hazard x3 on 17’ with 433 sensors. Then use the ford learning tool or one like it as everyone keeps saying.

Sorry didn’t see Pg 2 where you figured it out and it wouldn’t let me delete my whole post.

I've used the emerg flasher method for 3 yrs rotating my tires, turn on and off 3 times on my 2016 and it goes into training mode. Easiest way to train them. Vehicle enters train mode , then you follow the instructions on which wheel to train by letting air out. Easy peasy.

I have left them alone for a week to see if they would retrain on their own, didn't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest way to train them. Vehicle enters train mode , then you follow the instructions on which wheel to train by letting air out. Easy peasy................
I find the easiest way is to let the dealer do it when swapping my OEM/Winter tires while I'm having their coffee. :)

Peter

Back