Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help on a 95 xlt with loss of power and overheating?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Eturpel, July 11, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Eturpel

Eturpel New Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '95 XLT 4x4
    Greetings...hoping someone will read this and be able to help.

I replaced the transmission about 2 weeks ago...prior to that, my 4.0l V6 4x4 sat for over 6 months through the cold and rain, etc. It starts...but loses power constantly. If in idle It'll go to 2k RPM then back to 1k a few times...if I let it sit while started a while it eventually dies. I have since replaced the spark plugs, the radiator fan clutch, 50/50 fluid, trans fluid, thermostat and manifold gasket. I'm still having the same problem, and if I drive it for about 20 minutes it will say it's overheating, but the engine doesn't seem very hot..I don't get it.

I see no water coming from the bottom so I assume my water pump is okay...what's my next step?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!